When weather conditions are rainy, it’s important to be extra careful on roads, as rain and wet roads often create extra challenges such as flooding and poor visibility at times.
By following a few road safety tips you’ll help ensure that you’ll get safely to your destination.
Some tips to remember to help you when driving in the rain:
- Turn on your headlights to see and be seen.
- Slow down when it rains: reduce speed gradually by taking your foot off the accelerator.
- Increase the distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
- Avoid braking suddenly as this may cause your car to skid.
- It can be difficult to see through wet side windows, and side mirrors. Be aware of other vehicles to the rear and in blind spot areas.
- Beware of oil patches in the rain that makes the road more slippery. Don't panic. Don’t brake suddenly, just steer through. In most cases, the patches will be small.
- Wait a short time after the rain begins before using your windshield wipers because the blades may smudge your windscreen and make it difficult to see.
- If an oncoming vehicle is overtaking from the opposite direction and will not be likely to do it safely, slow down and be prepared to move to the left emergency lane if necessary.
- Only move towards the left emergency lane if you’re able to see clearly for at least 150m ahead of you. Keep in mind that pedestrians and cyclists may be walking and cycling in this lane as well.
Important checks on your vehicle especially for winter:
- Invest in good wiper blades to make sure that the windscreen can be cleaned effectively.
- Check your tyres and make sure that it has adequate tread on it for better traction on the road.
- Make sure that mirrors on the car are in good condition.
- Make sure that your headlights are working.
- Make sure that your brake lights and indicators are in working condition.
- Make sure that your mud flaps are secure.
Rainy season safety
Watch this video on how to take proper precautions in wet weather to ensure that you reach your destination safely.
Take the proper precautions in wet weather to ensure that you reach your destination safely and dry.