How to apply for your smart ID card
Your South African ID is one of the most important documents used to access services for general purposes and day-to-day activities in society.
The Department of Home Affairs started rolling out the new, more secure smart ID card.
If you’re still in possession of your green ID book and want to apply for a new Smart ID card, this is what you need to know:
You can get a new ID if:
- You’re a South-African citizen by birth.
- You’re 16 years or older.
- Your ID book has been lost, stolen or damaged.
- Your personal particulars have changed.
- Your citizenship status has changed.
- You’ve have changed your surname (for example, if you get married or divorced).
- You’re are temporarily living abroad and have previously had a South African ID.
Immigrants who have valid permanent residence permits can also get an ID.
- submit application forms online,
- upload supporting documents,
- make online payments, and
- schedule Home Affairs branch visits.
Requirements when applying for a smart ID card
If you’re applying for an ID for the first time (16 years or older) it’s free of charge. You'll need the following documents when applying:
- Birth certificate.
- Certified copy of 1 of your parents / legal guardian identity document.
- Death certificate of certified copy if your parents are deceased.
- Proof of residence (where it’s available) or provide residential address.
Pensioner (60 years old and above) who are in possession of a green ID book can apply for a smart ID card at no cost.
You’ll need the following:
- Your green barcoded ID / affidavit in case the if is lost.
- Your proof of residence (where it’s available) or provide residential address.
- Your marriage certificate, if married (for marriage verification status).
- Your divorce decree, if divorced (for divorce verification status).
If you’re between the ages of 16 and 59 years of age and in possession of a green ID book or lost your smart ID card, you’ll have to pay R140 when applying for a smart card ID.
You’ll also need:
- your green barcoded ID or an affidavit in case it's lost,
- proof of residence (where it’s available) or provide residential address,
- your marriage certificate, if married (for marriage verification status),
- your divorce decree, if divorced (for divorce verification status), and
- the application fee of R140.
Did you know you can also apply for your Smart ID card at your bank? If you're in the Western Cape, you can visit the Standard Bank Canal Walk branch, Shop 599LL, Canal Walk Shopping Centre, Century City Drive. Contact your bank or Home Affairs office for more information.
Note: The green ID books will remain valid as it’s estimated that it would take 6 to 7 years to phase them out.
For more information on smart ID cards, call the Department of Home Affairs toll-free hotline on 0800 601 190.
You can also apply at the following Department of Home Affairs offices in the Western Cape that have the new biometric systems available:
Cape Town Regional office
Faircape Buiding, 56 Barrack Street, Cape Town
Tel: 021 468 4500 / 4512 / 4515 / 4535 / 4574 / 4595 / 4599 / 4578
George Regional office
109 York Street , Telkom Building ,George 6530
Tel: 044 805 4100 / 4147 / 4148
Khayelitsha Regional office
Corner of Tsolo And Mzala Street, Khayelitsha, 7793
Tel: 021 360 1800 / 0261
Malmesbury District office
5 Piet Retief Street Malmesbury, 7300
Tel: 022 482 8240 / 8247
Nyanga (Nontsumpa) District office
Corner of New Eisleben & Miller Street, Crossroads, 7755
Tel: 021 380 5140 / 5137
Vredendal District office
Hoërskool Street, Vredendal, 8160
Tel: 080 060 1190
Worcester District office
71-73 Adderley Street Worcester 6850
Tel: 023 348 8304 / 8308 / 8310
Wynberg District office
Maynard Mall, Level 2, 70 Main Road, Wynberg, 7824 front of smart ID
Tel: 080 060 1190
Beaufort West office
MPCC, 3 De Vries Street
Tel: 023 414 8360
Boston Centre, 85 Voortrekker Road
Tel: 021 944 6252
Corner of Ou Meule & Long Street
Tel: 028 425 1165 / 1175
Bella Vista Thusong Centre back of smart ID
Tel: 080 060 1190
Mitchells Plain office
Alpha Street, Beacon Valley
Tel: 021 370 3102 / 3103 / 3109
Mossel Bay office
108 Adriaan Street, Asla Park
Tel: 044 693 0054 / 0357
73 Dassie Road, Bridgton
Tel: 044 203 7700
Corner of 39 Castle Street & Berg River Boulevard
Tel: 021 870 4409 / 4402 / 4415 / 4426
Tel: 0800 601 190