Are you a budding treasure hunter? Strap on your boots, explore our province and enter Heritage Hunt!
We have an exciting adventure in store for you this Heritage Month, where you can discover the best of the Western Cape while having loads of fun. We've hidden a secret password at undisclosed locations in and around 9 of our museums and nature reserves in the Western Cape. Using GPS co-ordinates and cryptic clues, you need to hunt these passwords down to enter the competition and stand a chance to win a 2 night stay for 4 people at the magnificent Anysberg Nature Reserve.
Put on your thinking cap, round up some family and friends, and let the hunt begin!
- Choose 1 or more of the participating museums or nature reserves (listed below) and enter the co-ordinates into your GPS or phone to make your way to your chosen location (the Google Maps app is free).
- Visit the museum or nature reserve you’ve selected.
- Locate the secret password hidden somewhere inside or around each heritage site. Use the clue (below) and GPS co-ordinates to guide your way.
- Complete your competition entry (below) with the password you’ve collected and submit the form.
Each heritage site has a different password, so the more sites you visit, the more entries you'll be able to earn towards the grand prize draw. Each hiding place is different at each site too, so using the GPS co-ordinates and clues to find each password will come in handy.
The participating museums and nature reserves are:
|Participating Heritage Site||GPS Co-ordinates||Clue||Password|
|Anysberg Nature Reserve||-33.463609,
|Does the search for your password feel like searching for a needle in a haystack? Put some lucerne in the mix for your password fix.||Home of three rivers|
|CP Nel Museum (Oudtshoorn)||-33.592105,
|It should not be a battle for you to find the password but the room where the password is hidden has a history of confrontation.||The Spectacular Feather Palace|
|Dias Museum (Mossel Bay)||-34.180238,
|Has searching for this password become a cross to bear? Search for this relic and you will find it there.||Great uncle Prince Henry the Navigator|
|If it’s a password you’re looking for today? At this site it should be child’s play.||Yellowwood Woodcutter’s Cottage|
Old Harbour Museum (Hermanus)
|Fishing for a clue? Near the water’s edge at ‘Visbaai’ you might get a lucky catch.||The Fascinating Bill Selkirk Collection|
|Swartberg Nature Reserve||
|Has the search for your password grinded to a halt? Stop milling around and head for the stone and thatch building where your password awaits.||Rare Protea Venusta in bloom|
|Wheat Industry Museum (Moorreesburg)||-33.148886,
|The pink lady might be retired, but approach her nicely and she may have a password for you.||Big red tractor|
|You’ll find your password where the power of water will get the wheel spinning.||Stone-ground flour in the water mill|
|Cape Medical Museum||-33.907259,
This might be a tricky clue, but from behind this counter you can unlock the password hidden there for you.
|Vesalius the great anatomists of the Renaissance|
Use this map to assist you in finding the heritage sites you need to get to:
The grand prize:
You can win a 2 night mid-week family getaway for 4 people at the Anysberg Nature Reserve in the Karoo. In case you can't get there straight away, it’ll be valid for 6 months from the date the prize is awarded.
The reserve is situated just 3 hours outside of Cape Town, on the N1 toward Laingsburg. The 62 500 hectare nature reserve offers visitors some of the most striking scenery in the Karoo. It’s a vast, sun-soaked landscape that alternates between gentle undulating plains and rugged mountains with steep gorges. Anysberg is known for its many archaeological sites, with some ruins dating back to the 18th century and San rock art depicting scenes of life as far back as 20 000 years ago. Visitors can explore truly unspoilt wilderness by day, and relax in front of a warm fire under a star-studded sky at night.
But wait. There's more! If you prefer to put yourself in the picture:
There's a second prize up for grabs, and entering is as simple as sharing a photo of yourself at any of our Provincial Heritage Sites located in and around the Western Cape.
- To share on Facebook: go to our Heritage Hunt event page on Facebook and post your photo on our wall.
- To share on Twitter: tweet your photo with the hashtag #HeritageHuntWC, and remember to mention us (@WesternCapeGov) to earn an entry in the competition draw.
So get your friends together, start hunting, explore our museums and discover the treasures of our past, present and future. Good luck!
Competition specific rules, terms and conditions:
- These rules govern the “Heritage Hunt” competition hosted by the Western Cape Government, with prizes sponsored by CapeNature and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport.
- These rules are in addition to our standard competition terms and conditions as published on our Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/notes/western-cape-government/western-cape-government-competitions-terms-conditions/1116448928370744).
- By participating, you agree to comply with all of these rules, with no exceptions.
- Only individuals not employed by or engaged with the Western Cape Government may enter the competition.
- The competition will run from 12pm on Wednesday 16 September 2015 to midnight on Wednesday 30 September 2015.
- Grand prize entries can only be earned once per site, for a maximum of 9 entries into the prize draw if you submit entries for all 9 heritage sites. The winner will be drawn at random and will be notified by email.
- Hamper entries can only be earned once per site, across as many of the Western Cape heritage sites you have visited or choose to visit. The winner will be drawn at random and will be notified through Facebook or Twitter.
- The delivery of the prize will be facilitated by CapeNature and the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport.
- All decisions are final.
Congratulations to our winner Zane De Lange, your correct entry received on 30 September 2015 was the correct entry drawn. You will be contacted regarding your prize.