FET College Information

(Western Cape Education Department, Western Cape Government)

What is a FET College?

What is a FET College?

Further Education and Training (FET) refers to education and training provided from Grades 10 to 12, including career-oriented education and training offered in technical colleges, community colleges and private colleges.

FET colleges are playing a growing role in the provision of the intermediate to higher-level skills required to support economic growth and development.

Visit the FET colleges website for more information.

The following publication was developed to help you choose the programme that suits you best: FET: A Guide to Opportunities for Further Learning.

What Courses are Offered at FET Colleges?

Public FET colleges offer a varied range of courses/programmes that have been developed to respond to the scarce skills needed by employers. These courses vary in duration; you can enrol for short courses of a few hours or for formal courses of three years.

Colleges offer courses in industry fields such as agriculture, arts and culture, business, commerce and management, education, training and development, engineering, manufacturing and technology, services, building construction and security.

How Much Will it Cost Me?

The costs of the courses vary but it is important to remember that Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) courses are subsidised by 80% of the delivery cost and for the remaining 20% that would be paid by the student, many full bursaries are available. This means that the state pays 80% of the total cost of the course and the student pays only 20% of the cost of the course. For students who meet the bursary criteria, there are also bursaries that cover the 20%, meaning that the student does not have to pay at all.

Contact the FET college where you would like to study for more information as well as the cost of the course of your choice.

Find an extensive list of FET colleges on this webpage.

Do FET Colleges Offer Financial Support?

The Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) introduced the FET Colleges Bursary Scheme to provide access to vocational education and training at public FET colleges for talented students who are in financial need.

These are the requirements you need to meet to qualify for the FET Colleges Bursary Scheme:

  • South African citizenship.
  • Enrolled or intending to enrol for the NC(V) programmes or other approved programmes.
  • In need of financial assistance.
  • Able to demonstrate potential for academic success.

For more on information on the bursary scheme, visit the National Students Financial Aid Scheme.

Access Trust - Skills for Life offers bursaries to any qualifying FET college student in the Western Cape.

Visit the Access Trust website at www.accesstrust.org.za or e-mail their offices at info@accesstrust.org.za for more information.

Edu-Loan is a private loan institution with a formal agreement with the colleges to fund qualifying students.

For further information on Edu-Loan, you can visit their website at www.eduloan.co.za, or contact their Client Services desk at 0860 55 55 44.

Where are the FET Colleges?

There are six public FET colleges in the Western Cape with campuses in more than 36 suburbs and towns.

Here is a list of FET colleges in the Western Cape:

How Do I Contact My Nearest FET College?

Please visit the Western Cape Education Department website for a list of contact details for all of the colleges. Alternatively, you can also visit the FET colleges webpage for a list of contact information for all the colleges and their campuses.

Is My Chosen College Registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training?

Every year, learners register at bogus colleges for further studies just to find out at the end of the year that they cannot write their exams because they were never registered. Always make sure that you are studying at a registered FET college.

All public FET colleges are registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training.

Private institutions offering further education and training programmes must register with the Department of Higher Education and Training in accordance with the Further Education and Training Colleges Act, 2006 (Act No. 16 of 2006).

To find out if a private FET college is registered with the Department of Higher Education and Training, look on the register of private FET education institutions .

Members of the public who wish to enquire about the registration status of a private FET college can contact the DHET Call Centre on 0800 8722 22 or on 012 312 6300 / 5881.

Other Useful Sources:

Western Cape Education Department: FET Colleges

FET Calendar for 2012

Sources: Department of Higher Education and Training(DHET), Western Cape Education Department, FET colleges website and National Students Financial Aid Scheme

The content on this page was last updated on 15 March 2014