Draft Safety and Compliance Strategy for Public Transport in the Western Cape - For Public Comment by 30 September 2007
Tel: 021 483 4852
Fax: 021 483 4722
Post: The Director: Ms N Tsipa-Sipoyo, Public Transport Safety and Compliance Directorate, 11 Leeuwen Street, Cape Town, 8001.
Comments by: 30 September 2007
The strategy defines a framework within which issues can be managed, and prescribes an approach to scoring initiatives according to the safety and compliance benefits they deliver. This framework supports a vision of safer public transport for all.
A number of issues and solutions have been identified to date, and participation and input from the broader public regarding their issues, views and experiences is currently being sought. The purpose of this document is to encourage debate and input into the process. The Directorate of Safety and Compliance has worked together with relevant stakeholders to create a draft strategy to address the safety and compliance issues relating to public transport in the province.
You are requested to give inputs on the following 6 Components:
1. Enforcement: Monitoring of operator/driver practices and the condition of vehicles, ensuring compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
2. Education: Enabling members of the public, service providers and relevant authorities to achieve safer public transport through communication and training.
3. Engineering: Ensuring that infrastructure and Public Transport facilities are planned, designed, built and operated in a manner conducive to safer public transport.
4. Legislation: Recommending updates or changes to the laws or regulations to facilitate safer Public Transport.
5. Coordination: Ensuring appropriate structures are in place, with effective co-ordination between those structures, proper planning and sufficient capability/capacity.
6. Emergencies: Providing an effective and efficient response to accidents and criminal incidents, mitigating the negative consequences of such events.
Please note: only written comments can be accepted.
tel: 021 483 4852
fax: 021 483 4722
post: The Director: Ms N Tsipa-Sipoyo, Public Transport Safety and Compliance Directorate, 11 Leeuwen Street, Cape Town, 8001.
You can also get copies of the Draft Strategy from the Ground Floor ( Security Desk), 11 Leeuwen Street, Cape Town, 8001.