The Draft Safety of Cyclists Regulations is open for public comment until 24 May 2013.
The regulations requirements ensure the safety of the cyclist and the motorist.
- Take care while passing the cyclist.
- Leave a distance between the motor vehicle and the cyclist of at least one meter.
- Maintain that distance from the cyclist until safely clear of the cyclist.
- Keep as close as possible to the left edge of the roadway.
- Obey road traffic signs and rules.
- Fit and use front and rear lights when riding while dark and while visibility is limited.
- Do not ride on the right-hand side of a motor-vehicle proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that motor vehicle or turning right at the intersection.
- Do not ride abreast of another cyclist proceeding in the same direction, except when passing that cyclist.
- Do not ride while wearing a headset, headphones or any listening device other than a hearing aid or while carrying another person on the pedal cycle, unless the pedal cycle is specifically equipped to carry more than one person.
For more information, you can read: