Creativity and Innovation on Show at 2014 Loerie Awards
The Loeries are in town and promise to bring you a week filled with imagination and celebration.
The 36th annual Loerie Awards – honouring the advertising, media and branding industry – will take place in Cape Town from 15 to 21 September and promise to be a week of creativity and innovation, says Awards CEO Andrew Human.
The Loeries encompass all areas of brand communication, including:
- radio and print
- communication design (including brand identity, architecture and interior design, package and publication design, motion graphic design)
- direct marketing
- PR communication
- non-broadcast video
- live events
- digital communication
- integrated campaigns
The Loeries – one of the key events showcased by the city of Cape Town in its bid to be crowned World Design Capital in 2014 –has been held in Cape Town since 2009 because, according to Human, "Cape Town offers world-class facilities, including the Cape Town International Convention Centre, a wealth of accommodation alternatives and, perhaps most importantly, an inspiring location".
He added that "the South African advertising and brand communication industry has a very high standard. It’s certainly the highest in Africa and we punch above our weight when compared to the rest of the world. South Africa is in fact recognised as the best producer of radio advertising in the world – we walked away with the Grand Prix at the Cannes Lions festival this year.
"Winning a Loerie Award is not easy. We look for innovative solutions where great ideas break through the conventional media clutter. The way work is presented for judging, can have a big influence on the success of entries. We are also hoping to see a substantial growth in the numbers of entries in the PR and Events category this year,’ he says.
Judging takes place during Loeries Creative Week Cape Town from 15 to 21 September 2014.
Finalists will be announced during the week and winners will be announced on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 September at the 36th Annual Loerie Awards at the CTICC.
The Communication Design Judging Panel will be chaired by Stephen Doyle of New York-based agency Doyle Partners.
Other panel members include:
- Brandt Botes – Owner/ Graphic Designer and Illustrator, Studio Botes
- Christo Basson – Creative Director, Am I Collective
- Collette Wasielewski – Creative Director, FCB
- Elli Gorgievska – Creative Director, iKineo
- Jake Bester – Executive Creative Director, Machine
- Jenny Ehlers – Creative Director, King James RSV
- Joanne Thomas – Creative Director, The Jupiter Drawing Room Cape Town
- Maciek Michalski – Executive Creative Director, Shift Joe Public
- Paul Hinch – Executive Creative Director, Grid Worldwide Branding and Design (Pty) Ltd
- Veejay Archary – Group Director, Black Africa Brand Consulting
- Geoffrey Bennett – Design Director, Collaboration Specialist: Interior Design, Member of South African Institute of Interior Design (IID)
- Natalie Naude – Managing Director, Three City Events (Pty) Ltd, Member of the Exhibition Association of South Africa (EXSA)
- Stefan Antoni - Director, SAOTA – Specialist: Architecture, Member of South African Institute of Architects (SAIA)
- Thelmarie Brink – Creative Director, JustDesign - Specialist: Package Design
The Radio, Television, Film and Video Judging Panel will be chaired by Patrick Baron, Executive Creative Director of McCann in Australia. Last year Baron was honoured by the Advertising Age USA as the world's top Creative Director and Art Director.
Other panel members include:
- Ahmed Tilly – Executive Creative Director, Black River FC
- Brett Morris – Chief Executive Officer, FCB
- Chris Gotz – Executive Creative Director, Ogilvy Cape Town
- Jenny Glover – Joint Executive Creative Director, Net#work BBDO
- Justin Gomes – Executive Creative Director, FoxP2
- Kirk Gainsford – Executive Creative Director, Lowe Cape Town
- Rob McLennan – Creative Founding Partner, King James II
- Rui Alves – Executive Creative Director, Y&R SA
- Xolisa Dyeshana – Executive Creative Director, Joe Public
- Pete Case – Founder and CEO, Gloo
- Michael Middleton – Director, Jump
For a breakdown of the judging dates and categories, please consult the full Loeries programme.
The award ceremonies will be held in the main auditorium at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) on Saturday and Sunday 20 and 21 September. Doors open at 17:30 and close at 18:30. Cocktails and snacks will be served before the awards and the bar will be open afterwards.
The programmes for the two award ceremonies are:
Saturday, 20 September 2014
- Communication Design
- Creative Future Scholarship – Sponsored by the AAA School of Advertising
- Digital & Interactive Communication – Sponsored by Google
- Marketing Leadership and Innovation Award
- Outdoor and Collateral Media – Sponsored by Continental Outdoor
- Print Communication – Sponsored by Times Media
- Street-Pole – Sponsored by ADreach
- Ubuntu Award – Sponsored by Unilever
Sunday, 21 September 2014
- Africa and The Middle East
- Effective Creativity – Sponsored by Woolworths
- Events and PR
- Integrated Campaign
- Media Innovation
- Radio Communication – Sponsored by YFM
- Television, Film and Video Communication – Sponsored by DStv
- Television, Film and Video Crafts – Sponsored by the Commercial Producers Association
- Young Creatives Award – Sponsored by Adams and Adams Attorneys
- Hall of Fame Award
- View the full Loeries Creative Week programme for a full, day-by-day breakdown of events.
- To see other creative events taking place during the Loeries Creative Week, visit www.creativeweekct.co.za.
- See what happened at Creative Week 2013.
- See what the A-listers wore on the red carpet at last year's Loeries.