Communicare – finding affordable housing in Cape Town
Communicare makes affordable housing possible. The non-profit company (NPC) was established in 1929 by a group of citizens to address the housing shortage in our province.
Communicare currently owns and manages 3 375 rental units in 39 complexes and a number of free standing homes situated in well-located areas in the Cape Town metropole.
Over the past 85 years, they’ve provided housing for thousands of financially vulnerable families and have developments in Ruyterwacht, Thornton, Crawford, Bishop Lavis, Brooklyn and Bothasig Gardens among others.
Communicare aims to deliver 2 000 new housing opportunities into the social rental market by 2025 and plan to expand into other markets as well.
With over 3 300 social rental units, Communicare remains the largest non-government contributor to affordable rental housing in the Western Cape and is a recognised leader in the social housing sector.
How do I find out if units are available?
Vacant units are advertised on the Communicare website as well as Gumtree.
Anyone is welcome to apply and all applicants will need to meet certain criteria. The criteria will include considering the demographic profile of the complex and the overall tenant population.
Units will be allocated on a first come, first served basis to applicants who meet the qualifying criteria for the available units.
Why rent from Communicare?
- They’re an established social housing company with more than 80 years of experience in the rental business.
- They manage 3 600 rental units and are the largest owner of rental stock in the Western Cape.
- Their rental charge is the cheapest per square meter for persons/households earning between R2 500 and R7 500.
Their accommodation is located close to public transport, social and health amenities and educational facilities.
To qualify, you’ll need to meet the housing criteria. Keep this in mind:
- Accommodation is offered to tenants between the ages of 21 and 75.
- Applicants with regular incomes and who have a good credit record will be considered.
- 30% of household on gross income (your income before deductions) needs to be equivalent to the monthly rent.
- They’ll take a look at monthly expenses to ensure that you can afford the rent.
- They’ll check whether you already own property, if you do, you won’t qualify.
You’re also required to undergo a pre-qualification assessment to determine your suitability and whether you have a regular income. No fees are payable at this stage.
Once applicants pass the pre-assessment stage, they would be required to bring in;
- Identification document (ID)
- Proof of income
- Bank statements
A credit check will also be done. An admin fee payable to Communicare is needed to have the credit check processed. You’ll be contacted by Communicare about the next steps, if you meet the criteria.
Click here to view vacant units
- Completed application form
- 3 months most recent bank statements
- Proof of income
- Certified copy of identity document or valid permanent residency papers
- Certified copy of marriage certificate / certified copy of divorce decree as applicable
- Certified copy or copies of ID or birth certificates of all dependants
Please note that only applications that meet minimum income requirements, and have submitted the required documentation to the email address listed on the vacancy, will be considered.
If you haven't received a response within 10 working days, please assume that selected applicants have already been short-listed for the vacancy.
Learn more and contact Communicare for any further information.
Toll-free number: 0800 266 737 (Mondays to Fridays 08:00 - 16:30)
Watch what tenants had to say about Communicare