Call For Nominees to the Mental Health Review Board
INVITATION TO NOMINATE A MEMBER OF THE MENTAL HEALTH REVIEW BOARD (WESTERN CAPE)
In terms of section 20 of the Mental Health Care Act17 of 2002, the Provincial Minister of Health hereby calls on interested persons, parties, community organisations or groups to nominate a member of the Community in the Western Cape to serve in a vacant position on the Mental Health Review Board (Western Cape).
The Review Board has the following powers and functions:
(a) To consider appeals against decisions of the Head of a Health Establishment;
(b) To make decisions with regard to assisted and involuntary mental health care, treatment and rehabilitation services;
( c) To consider reviews and make decisions on assisted and involuntary mental health care Users;
(d) To consider 72-hours assessment made by the Head of the Health Establishment and make decisions to provide further involuntary care, treatment and rehabilitation services;
(e) To consider applications for transfer of mental health care Users to maximum security facilities; and
(f) To consider periodic reports on the mental health status of mentally prisoners
The following is the criteria which the nominee must comply with:
1. The nominee must be resident in a community within the Province of the Western Cape;
2. It would also be advantageous if the nominee has some experience or interest in the Mental Health
Care field, excellent verbal and writing skills and the ability to understand matters of a complex nature;
3. The nominee must be available to fulfil his/her duties during Monday to Friday office hours and attend meetings weekly.
4. Board members should be available to work for 15 to 20 hours a week.
5. Board member should be able to work a minimum of 15 hours per week.
Any person, community organisation or group making nominations and nominees must provide the following information to the departmental official whose details appear below:
* The full name and address of the person, community or organisation making the nomination;
* Motivation why the nominee is considered suitable for the post;
* The full name and address of the nominee;
* A signed copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae;
* A statement by the nominee of his/her willingness to serve as a member of the Board.
Nomination forms must be sent to: Dr S Kariem, Chief Director: General Specialist & Emergency Services, Private Bag X15, Parow, 7500. Telephone: (021) 918 1505 Fax: 086 5444590; Email: Sharon.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please take note of the following:
* The Provincial Minister of Health is the authority who will review appointments.
* Review Board activities and meetings normally take place at the offices of the Review Board on the premises of
Lentegeur Hospital in Mitchells Plain but members may be required to travel to other centres within the Western Province;
* Review Board members are remunerated at an hourly rate and are compensated for travel expenses including travel from home to office in accordance with set tariffs. When Board members have to be away from home as part of their duties, travelling and subsistence costs are paid at the same rates as for Public Servants in the Western Cape.
* The appointment will be made with due regard to issues such as gender and equity.
* The closing date for all nominations is: 31 July 2017
Please note that the Department has developed special nomination forms, which will assist persons in providing all the required information about a nominee. These forms may be obtained from Mrs G Fakier.
Enquiries: Gabieba.Fakier@westerncape.gov.za; Tel no 021 370 1221; Fax no 086 758 4209