Building better roads
The Department of Transport and Public Works builds, repairs and upgrades Western Cape provincial roads. It aims to promote positive socio-economic outcomes and safe, empowered and connected communities with its infrastructure.
Below are major road projects currently underway. Recently completed projects are also featured.
R399 near Uniondale
N1 from Plattekloof Road to just beyond the Old Oak interchange
When completed, this R487 million project will include the addition of an extra lane to parts that previously had two lanes.
- News: Major N1 upgrade project is progressing well
- News: Temporary closure on N1 between Jip De Jager and Durban Road
- News: Update on major N1 upgrade
- News: Major R487 million N1 upgrade project to ease congestion in the city
R27 and R399 near St Helena Bay
The Department of Transport and Public Works and the West Coast District Municipality have started a project to upgrade the gravel road between the R27 and R399 near St Helena Bay to a surfaced road.
R305 between Stilbaai and the N2
This R156 million Department of Transport and Public Works project to rehabilitate and make design improvements to this road started in January 2016 and is expected to be completed in March 2018.
- News: Stilbaai roadworks progressing well
- News: Expect delays on R305 between Stilbaai and the N2
- News: Rehabilitation and design improvements near Stilbaai
Annandale Road between the R44 and R310, Stellenbosch
R393 and R303 near Eendekuil and Citrusdal
Road construction project in George and Wilderness
This project to reseal, rehabilitate and perform structural maintenance on 20 km of road in George and Wilderness is nearing completion
- News: George and Wilderness roadworks delayed
- News: Roadworks in George and Wilderness progressing well
- News: Roadworks in George and Wilderness begin
R341 between Oudtshoorn and De Rust
The project includes upgrades and resealing of portions of the road as well as the widening of the Cango River Bridge.
N2 between Borcherds Quarry Road and R300
This R186 million project began in January 2016 and is expected to be completed in October 2017.
- News: N2 roadworks are 80% complete
- News: N2 roadworks are 78% complete
- News: Update on N2 roadworks project
- News: N2 roadworks progressing well
- News: Roadworks on the N2 between Borcherds Quarry Road and R300
R304 and Sandringham Road near Joostenberg Vlakte
This R49 million project started in October 2016 and is scheduled for completion in October 2017.
R44 near Avontuur wine estate in Stellenbosch
This R10 million project to widen part of the road and repair pipe culverts is expected to be completed at the end of June 2017.
- News: Roadworks near Avontuur wine estate nearly complete
- News: Roadworks near Avontuur wine estate, Stellenbosch
- News: R44 near Avontuur wine estate in Stellenbosch
R45 and R321 between Villiersdorp and Vyeboom
A project to reseal the R45 and R321 between Villiersdorp and Vyeboom includes surface repairs and work to stablise the shoulders of the road.
R317 between Robertson and Bonnievale
This R205 million project is expected to be completed in mid-2018. This road was constructed over 40 years ago and has reached its operational capacity.
Cogmanskloof between Ashton and Montagu
The Department of Transport and Public Works is expected to complete work on this R583-million contract in the third quarter of 2018.
- News: Stormwater installation in Montagu
- News: Update on Cogmanskloof roadworks near Montagu
- News: Blasting in Cogmanskloof progressing well
- News: Update on roadworks between Ashton and Montagu
- News: Roadworks in Cogmanskloof between Ashton and Montagu (Update)
- News: Road Rehabilitation of Cogmanskloof between Ashton and Montagu
Piesang Valley Road in Plettenberg Bay
Piesang Valley Road in Plettenberg Bay will be closed between Castleton and Schoongezicht Estate until 19 November 2016 for emergency slip repairs.
Earth embankment slips in Knysna, Keurboomstrand and Nature's Valley
This R11 million project started in June 2016 and is expected to be completed in January 2017.
Flood-damaged roads near Worcester and De Doorns
Repairs caused by the floods of 2013/14 are required at 12 sites. Work on this R14 million project started in February 2016 and is expected to be completed early next year.
R101 and R304 Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation of the R101 and R304 between Old Paarl Road and Bloekombos is currently underway.
- News: Update on roadworks on the R101 and R304
- News: Road Construction on R101 and R304 for Next Two Years.
R317 between Bredasdorp and Stormsvlei
Breede River Bridge
- News: Temporary closure of Breede River Bridge (update 22 June 2016)
- News: Work to widen the Breede River Bridge proceeding well
- News: Temporary closure of Breede River Bridge
R399 between Piketberg and Velddrif
- News: Expect delays when travelling to Snoek en Patatfees, Goedverwacht
- News: Roadworks between Piketberg and Velddrif
Route 27 (R27)
All contracts on the R27 are on track and should be completed in 2016.
- News: Good progress on Melkbosstrand roadworks project
- News: Reseal of the R27 and M19 near Melkbosstrand update
- News: Intersections of R27 with Sandown/Tryall Road and Melkbosstrand Road (roadworks)
- News: Roadworks on the R27 West Coast Road
- News: Progress with Resurfacing on R27 from Milnerton to Melkbosstrand.
- News: Good Progress with Resurfacing of R27
R311 and R45 in the Moorreesburg area
Construction started in June 2015 and is scheduled for completion in March 2017.
- News: Moorreesburg roadworks progressing well
- News: Rehabilitation and Resurfacing of R311 in Moorreesburg
Flood-damaged roads near Robertson and Ashton
Work on this R12 million project is expected be completed early in 2017.
R316 between Caledon and Bredasdorp
The project has exceeded its empowerment and employment targets by a long way.
- News: Road project exceeds empowerment and employment targets
- News: Resealing of Route 316 between Caledon and Bredasdorp.
Suider Agter Paarl Road between Old Paarl Road (the R101) and the R44
This R61 million project started in June 2015 and is scheduled for completion in August 2016.
Old Malmesbury Road
Rehabilitation of the Old Malmesbury Road between Abbotsdale and Kalbaskraal is progressing well.
- News: Rehabilitation of the Old Malmesbury road progressing well
- Infographic: Rehabilitation of Old Malmesbury Road
R43 between Bot River and Hermanus
The contractor began work on the R37 million project in September 2015 and is scheduled to finish by mid-2016.
- News: Update on roadworks on the R43 between Bot River and Hermanus
- News: Progress on the resealing of R43 between Bot River and Sandbaai
R304 between Philadelphia and Adderley roads
This R38 million project started in November 2015 and is scheduled for completion in mid-2016.
R43 between Worcester and Wyzersdrift
This project includes the widening of the Breede River Bridge and the repair of other structures along the section of the road.
- News: Rehabilitation of the R43 between Worcester and Wyzersdrift (update).
- News: Rehabilitation on the R43 between Worcester and Wyzersdrift.
R43 near Wolseley
R44 and R301 near Wellington
Merweville Road Upgrade
The three-phase construction and upgrading project was six years in the making.
Blanco Road Upgrade
The upgraded Blanco Road on the R404 connects the Herold Bay area to George and surrounding areas. It was officially opened on 15 July 2015.
R310 near Stellenbosch
The road works project on the R310 between Vlaeberg and Vlottenberg Road near Stellenbosch cost R215 million.
Glentana Road Upgrades
The Department is upgrading the district roads near the Glentana and Great Brak River area in the Southern Cape.
Hemel en Aarde
The estimated contract value of the project to upgrade the R320 Hemel en Aarde Road between Hermanus and Caledon is R186 million.
The status of other Western Cape road projects can be viewed on the Department’s interactive road map.