Building better roads
The Department of Transport and Public Works builds, repairs and upgrades Western Cape provincial roads. It aims to promote positive socio-economic outcomes and safe, empowered and connected communities with its infrastructure.
Below are major road projects currently underway. Recently completed projects are also featured.
N7 between Bosmansdam and Melkbosstrand
We've started two roadworks projects spanning 16 km of the N7: one between the Bosmansdam and Potsdam interchanges (6,4 km); and the other between the Potsdam and Melkbosstrand interchanges (9,6 km).
R60 from the Nuy intersection near Worcester to Ashton, and the R317 (MR287) from Robertson through Bonnievale up to the Cogmanskloof River
The project started in October 2018 and is expected to be complete early in 2020.
R43 from Langhoogte to Villiersdorp and section 2 from Villiersdorp to Worcester
This R47 million project is expected to be complete by October 2019, if everything goes according to plan.
Roadworks on various sections of the R60 and R62 between Ashton and Montagu
Haw & Inglis submitted the winning tender and has been appointed under Contract C818.01 to complete the project.
- News: Update on Ashton/ Montagu roadworks project
- News: R62 through Cogmanskloof roadworks update
- News: Progress update on roadworks between Ashton and Montagu
- News: Stormwater installation in Montagu
- News: Update on Cogmanskloof roadworks near Montagu
- News: Blasting in Cogmanskloof progressing well
- News: Update on roadworks between Ashton and Montagu
- News: Roadworks in Cogmanskloof between Ashton and Montagu (Update)
- News: Road Rehabilitation of Cogmanskloof between Ashton and Montagu
N1 from Plattekloof Road to just beyond the Old Oak interchange
The addition of a third lane in both directions will significantly reduce traffic congestion on one of Cape Town’s busiest roads.
- News: Update on N1 roadworks between Durban Road and Old Oak Interchange
- News: Update on N1 Plattekloof roadworks
- News: Update on N1 Plattekloof roadworks
- News: Good progress on major N1 upgrade
- News: Good progress on major N1 project
- News: Major N1 upgrade project is progressing well
- News: Temporary closure on N1 between Jip De Jager and Durban Road
- News: Update on major N1 upgrade
- News: Major R487 million N1 upgrade project to ease congestion in the city
Portion of MR344 (R102) between Hartenbos and Great Brak River and the portion of DR1578 between Tergniet and Wolwedans
This R182 million project started in January 2018 and is expected to be completed by mid-2020.
- News: Update on Great Brak River roadworks
- News: Update on Great Brak River roadworks
- News: Project update on Groot-Brakrivier roadworks
- News: Good progress with roadworks near Groot-Brakrivier
- News: Roadworks begin near Groot-Brakrivier
Trunk Road 75 section 1 (TR75/1) between Holgaten and Oudtshoorn
This R55 million project is expected to be complete towards the end of 2019, if everything goes according to plan.
Main Road 174 (MR174) between Malmesbury and Muishondrivier
MR174 forms part of the R45 that connects Saldanha with Villiersdorp via Vredenburg, Malmesbury and Paarl.
R44 between Stellenbosch and Klapmuts
Downward slope of the N2 near Sir Lowry's Pass Road
The project included fencing, barrier kerbs, storm water pipe installation, culvert construction, and the extension of layerworks.
- News: New arrestor bed on Sir Lowry's Pass
- News: Good progress on construction of new arrestor bed on Sir Lowry's Pass
- News: Construction of new arrestor bed on Sir Lowry's Pass
R341 between De Rust and Uniondale
This R29 million project is expected to be complete by March 2019, if everything goes according to plan.
The roadworks project in Saldanha Bay will consist of a roundabout at the intersection with the Vredenburg road, a bridge over the railway line, and a new road with a single lane in each direction.
R45 and R321 between Villiersdorp and Vyeboom
A project to reseal the R45 and R321 between Villiersdorp and Vyeboom includes surface repairs and work to stablise the shoulders of the road.
- News: Good progress on Grabouw/ Villiersdorp roadworks project
- News: Roadworks project in Villiersdorp begins
R44 near Gordon’s Bay
Motorists are now able to travel on a much improved resurfaced road that previously had severe cracks in places.
- News: Roadworks near Gordon's Bay reach practical completion
- News: Roadworks begin on the R44 near Gordon’s Bay
R305 between Stilbaai and the N2
The project met and exceeded its local empowerment targets by creating work opportunities for 260 people over the 26-month period (65% being young people, and 32% being women).
- News: Recently upgraded R192 million Hessequa Road officially opened
- News: Stilbaai roadworks nearing completion
- News: Stilbaai roadworks progressing well
- News: Expect delays on R305 between Stilbaai and the N2
- News: Rehabilitation and design improvements near Stilbaai
R317 between Robertson and Bonnievale
This R205 million project started in January 2017 and is expected to be complete in August 2018.
Old Malmesbury Road
Motorists are now able to travel on upgraded roads and bridges on the Old Malmesbury Road between Abbotsdale and Kalbaskraal.
- News: Old Malmesbury Road roadworks reach practical completion
- News: Rehabilitation of the Old Malmesbury road progressing well
- Infographic: Rehabilitation of Old Malmesbury Road
N2 between Borcherds Quarry Road and R300
The Department of Transport and Public Works has now completed this R200 million freeway upgrade, which included the addition of a third lane in both directions.
- News: Minister Grant officially opens R207 million N2 upgrade project
- News: N2 roadworks project reaches practical completion
- News: N2 roadworks to be completed by early December
- News: N2 roadworks are 80% complete
- News: N2 roadworks are 78% complete
- News: Update on N2 roadworks project
- News: N2 roadworks progressing well
- News: Roadworks on the N2 between Borcherds Quarry Road and R300
Main Road 352 (Hoekwil Road) and Main Road 355 (Saasveld Road) near Wilderness
Swartberg Pass - R328 in Central Karoo
R407 between Prince Albert Road and Prince Albert
R45 between Paarl and Malmesbury
The road was last refurbished in 1981. The current surface is deteriorating, exhibiting stone loss and cracking, and allowing water to enter the pavement structure.
R399 between Piketberg and Velddrif
- News: Upgraded R304 million R399 Piketberg Road officially opened
- News: Expect delays when travelling to Snoek en Patatfees, Goedverwacht
- News: Roadworks between Piketberg and Velddrif
R399 near Uniondale
The project entails surface and base patch repairs as well as cold in-situ recycling of large areas.
R27 and R399 near St Helena Bay
The Department of Transport and Public Works and the West Coast District Municipality have started a project to upgrade the gravel road between the R27 and R399 near St Helena Bay to a surfaced road.
Annandale Road between the R44 and R310, Stellenbosch
R393 and R303 near Eendekuil and Citrusdal
Road construction project in George and Wilderness
This project to reseal, rehabilitate and perform structural maintenance on 20 km of road in George and Wilderness is nearing completion
- News: George and Wilderness roadworks delayed
- News: Roadworks in George and Wilderness progressing well
- News: Roadworks in George and Wilderness begin
R341 between Oudtshoorn and De Rust
The project includes upgrades and resealing of portions of the road as well as the widening of the Cango River Bridge.
R304 and Sandringham Road near Joostenberg Vlakte
This R49 million project started in October 2016 and is scheduled for completion in October 2017.
R44 near Avontuur wine estate in Stellenbosch
This R10 million project to widen part of the road and repair pipe culverts is expected to be completed at the end of June 2017.
- News: Roadworks near Avontuur wine estate nearly complete
- News: Roadworks near Avontuur wine estate, Stellenbosch
- News: R44 near Avontuur wine estate in Stellenbosch
Piesang Valley Road in Plettenberg Bay
Piesang Valley Road in Plettenberg Bay will be closed between Castleton and Schoongezicht Estate until 19 November 2016 for emergency slip repairs.
Earth embankment slips in Knysna, Keurboomstrand and Nature's Valley
This R11 million project started in June 2016 and is expected to be completed in January 2017.
Flood-damaged roads near Worcester and De Doorns
Repairs caused by the floods of 2013/14 are required at 12 sites. Work on this R14 million project started in February 2016 and is expected to be completed early next year.
R101 and R304 Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation of the R101 and R304 between Old Paarl Road and Bloekombos is currently underway.
- News: Update on roadworks on the R101 and R304
- News: Road Construction on R101 and R304 for Next Two Years.
R317 between Bredasdorp and Stormsvlei
Breede River Bridge
- News: Temporary closure of Breede River Bridge (update 22 June 2016)
- News: Work to widen the Breede River Bridge proceeding well
- News: Temporary closure of Breede River Bridge
Route 27 (R27)
All contracts on the R27 are on track and should be completed in 2016.
- News: Good progress on Melkbosstrand roadworks project
- News: Reseal of the R27 and M19 near Melkbosstrand update
- News: Intersections of R27 with Sandown/Tryall Road and Melkbosstrand Road (roadworks)
- News: Roadworks on the R27 West Coast Road
- News: Progress with Resurfacing on R27 from Milnerton to Melkbosstrand.
- News: Good Progress with Resurfacing of R27
R311 and R45 in the Moorreesburg area
Construction started in June 2015 and is scheduled for completion in March 2017.
- News: Moorreesburg roadworks progressing well
- News: Rehabilitation and Resurfacing of R311 in Moorreesburg
Flood-damaged roads near Robertson and Ashton
Work on this R12 million project is expected be completed early in 2017.
R316 between Caledon and Bredasdorp
The project has exceeded its empowerment and employment targets by a long way.
- News: Road project exceeds empowerment and employment targets
- News: Resealing of Route 316 between Caledon and Bredasdorp.
Suider Agter Paarl Road between Old Paarl Road (the R101) and the R44
This R61 million project started in June 2015 and is scheduled for completion in August 2016.
R43 between Bot River and Hermanus
The contractor began work on the R37 million project in September 2015 and is scheduled to finish by mid-2016.
- News: Update on roadworks on the R43 between Bot River and Hermanus
- News: Progress on the resealing of R43 between Bot River and Sandbaai
R304 between Philadelphia and Adderley roads
This R38 million project started in November 2015 and is scheduled for completion in mid-2016.
R43 between Worcester and Wyzersdrift
This project includes the widening of the Breede River Bridge and the repair of other structures along the section of the road.
- News: Rehabilitation of the R43 between Worcester and Wyzersdrift (update).
- News: Rehabilitation on the R43 between Worcester and Wyzersdrift.
R43 near Wolseley
R44 and R301 near Wellington
Merweville Road Upgrade
The three-phase construction and upgrading project was six years in the making.
Blanco Road Upgrade
The upgraded Blanco Road on the R404 connects the Herold Bay area to George and surrounding areas. It was officially opened on 15 July 2015.
R310 near Stellenbosch
The road works project on the R310 between Vlaeberg and Vlottenberg Road near Stellenbosch cost R215 million.
Glentana Road Upgrades
The Department is upgrading the district roads near the Glentana and Great Brak River area in the Southern Cape.
Hemel en Aarde
The estimated contract value of the project to upgrade the R320 Hemel en Aarde Road between Hermanus and Caledon is R186 million.
The status of other Western Cape road projects can be viewed on the Department’s interactive road map.