Bellville Mechanical Workshop Apprenticeship
Applications are now open!
How to apply
To apply, you must submit a manual application.
Please complete an application form (Z83) and current CV (5 pages maximum) together with certified copies of:
- Identity Document (ID),
- academic qualifications, and
- proof of other requirements as indicated in the advertisement.
The position being applied for and the reference number must be clearly indicated on the Z83 application form.
- Ref: TPW 2017-193: Diesel Mechanic
- Ref: TPW 2017-311: Fitter and Turner
Applicants who are considered for the interview and further selection process may be required to submit documentation supporting such information with due regard to conditions that may be set.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to attend an interview and/or competency assessments/proficiency tests on a date and time as determined by the department.
Forward your application for attention: Ms S van der Merwe
Postal address: Department of Transport and Public Works, Bellville Mechanical Workshop, Private Bag X2, Kasselsvlei, 7533
Street Address: Hand deliver to Robert Sobukwe Road (Modderdam Road), Bellville South.
Applications not submitted on or before the closing date as well as faxed or e-mailed applications will not be considered.
If you have not received a response within 3 months of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Closing Date: 19 January 2018
The Department of Transport and Public Works offers a four year apprenticeship programme to prepare students for the working world.
When qualified, apprentices can study further at a higher education institution (HEI) toward becoming a mechanical engineering technician or an engineer.
The department can also employ apprentices as artisans. They are recognised and covered by the Occupation Specific Dispensation (OSD) if offered this opportunity. In this case, artisans are eligible for higher posts and higher grades in current posts.
Apprentices develop skills in the following areas at the workshop:
- Occupation Health and Safety Act.
- Safety in the Workplace.
- Basic Hydraulics.
- Basic Auto Electricity.
- Diesel Injector Servicing.
- Abnormal Load Transportation.
- General repairs to earthmoving machinery.
- Servicing and maintenance of road construction machinery.
- Ground engaging tools and implements.
- Basic welding.
- Basic fitting and turning.
- Basic spray painting.
The apprenticeship is registered with the Manufacturing and Engineering Related Sectorial Education and Training Authority (Merseta). The apprentice signs a four year contract with Merseta which is approved by the Department of Labour.
- Technical Matric Certificate or technical equivalent certificate (N3 or N4 college certificate).
- Under 21 years old.
- A pass mark in Mathematics and Physical Science.
- Preference will be given to applicants who show more technical ability and knowledge i.e. Mechanical Technology and Engineering Graphics and Design.
Each year of the four-year apprenticeship consists of the following stages:
- 3-month combination of intensive practical and theoretical training.
- 3-month at technical college doing the National Technical Certificate (NTC) courses.
- 6 months practical training in one of the Department’s workshops.
As apprentices progress through the programme they are given increasing levels of responsibility until they qualify as an artisan.
How to apply
The Bellville Mechanical Workshop Apprenticeship is advertised in various newspapers in the Western Cape and on the Western Cape Government website at different times throughout the year.
The Department of Transport and Public Works advertises the apprenticeship annually to students at different technical colleges in the province.
Read more on youth development and job creation at the Department of Transport and Public Works:
- Youth Month 2015
- Career building opportunities at the Department of Transport and Public Works
- Learning Programmes at Gene Louw Traffic College
- Masakh'iSizwe Bursary Programme
- Expanded Public Works Programme
- National Youth Service
- Contractor Development Programme
Bellville Mechanical Workshop Apprenticeship in the News: