Basic services | Western Cape Government

22Covid-19 Alerts

COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Dashboard

View Vaccine information

TB Information and Dashboard

View TB information

Basic services

Basic electricity services

The well-being of a community depends on its access to electricity, water, and sanitation.

These basic services are easily accessible to you and your loved ones. Here’s what you need to do:


Eskom is our national energy provider. To apply for access to electricity, you can call the Eskom Call Centre at 08600 375 66. Once you get through to a consultant, follow this guide:

  1. You’ll receive a reference number that you need to keep in order to get access to your electricity supply.
  2. Your application will be sent to an officer in your area, who will give you a quotation with the cost of your installation. This may take 30 working days.
  3. From the day that you pay for the installation, it may take 90 working days to get your electricity supply running.

Alternatively, you can register, apply and get more information here.

Applying for free electricity

If you live in a disadvantaged community or home, you can apply for free electricity from a municipality in your area. All you need to do is visit your local municipality and take your identity document and proof of address.

Water and sanitation


Water and sanitation services are important as they prevent the spread of diseases and promote healthy living. Your municipality is responsible for sewage treatment and should provide clean water. 

If you need to apply for water and sanitation services, you’ll need to visit your local municipality. The waiting period and cost of services depends on your municipality.

You’ll need your:

  • Identity document and
  • Proof of address.

If you're unable to get help from your municipality, you can call our contact centre for more assistance:

  • Tel: 0860 142 142 (Monday to Friday 07:30 - 16:00) or send
  • Please Call Me: 079 769 1207

Refuse removal

Municipalities are responsible to provide basic services, promote a safe and healthy environment, and promote community development. Each local municipality should deliver the basic service of refuse removal.

The solid waste management department in Cape Town is responsible for the collection and disposal of waste, area cleaning, preventing waste and pollution, and minimising waste.

They ensure that refuse in 240l wheelie bins is removed from the pavement at formal properties. The service is provided on the scheduled refuse removal day each week. 240l wheelie bins are given to residents and businesses once they receive an application by the property owner.

Applying for a wheelie bin:

Only the registered property owner can apply for a new wheelie bin. Download and fill in the Application for Supply of Services. Please ensure that you fill in all the sections related to refuse removal.

Should you want to apply for a new wheelie bin as a tenant, you follow the steps above; however, the property owner or the property’s managing agent will have to sign the application form. In addition to a certified copy of your ID, you will need to bring a letter of authority from the property owner or managing agent.

If you’re a tenant living in Council-owned rental stock, you must visit your nearest housing office to apply for a new wheelie bin. Please remember to bring along your original ID.

For general enquiries, you can call: 0860 103 089

If you need to apply for refuse removal services outside the city of Cape Town, you’ll need to visit your local municipality.


The content on this page was last updated on 2 August 2018