Africa Day 2017
Africa Day is celebrated on 25 May every year around our continent to commemorate the founding of the Organisation of African Unity (African Union) in 1963. The celebrations highlight African solidarity, unity in diversity, creativity, challenges and successes, and the cultural and economic potential of our continent. This celebration is also a platform for the continent to engage and build stronger networks and partnerships at various levels across national and international boundaries.
During this period the Western Cape will again show our commitment to building a better Africa and a better world in support of the African Union’s Agenda 2063 to build “an integrated, prosperous and peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the international arena.”
Building a Better Africa and a Better World
The message for 2017 is “Building a better Africa and a Better World”. The message aims to inspire all of us to join hands and together we can ensure a better, united and socially unified country and continent by:
Commemorating Africa Day and Africa Month as a celebration of peace, friendship and unity on our continent.
- Using Agenda 2063 is a joint African roadmap for continental development.
- Improving the lives of all Africans by promoting a human rights culture.
- Committing to nation building and social unity.
- Understanding that a peaceful continent is a requirement for investment, regional integration and socio-economic growth.
- Condemning attacks against foreign nationals. We must embrace and partner with our fellow Africans residing in South Africa and elsewhere on the continent.
Africa Day is an opportunity for us to reconnect and recommit ourselves in support of all government interventions to develop a united Africa and a better world.
Let’s use this opportunity to remind ourselves of our achievements and opportunities, and use this occasion as encouragement to strive to improve our province, country and continent every day. Our responsibility is to treat each other with respect and dignity regardless of race, country of origin or beliefs. We need to strive to promote and create an equal opportunity society for all.
If we stand together as one, we can instil a sense of pride and make Africa Better Together.
Follow the latest Africa Day news on Twitter using this hashtag #AfricaDay2017