Dedication to excellence celebrated at Cape Winelands Sports Awards
The outstanding commitment of athletes to their sport as well as the promotion of sport in communities was awarded at the Cape Winelands District Sports Awards on 5 September 2019.
The awards took place at Ashanti Estate in Paarl and were hosted by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) in partnership with the Cape Winelands District Municipality and the Cape Winelands Sports Council.
President of the Western Cape Provincial Sport Confederation, JP Naude, applauded the nominees for their achievements and encouraged them to keep moving forward in their careers. He also urged all nominated athletes, coaches and administrators to be aware of their responsibilities as leaders in sport. “As sportspeople, we are some of the biggest influencers in our country, and it is up to us to create change. As leaders in your field, you can make a difference in your communities. Ask yourselves what you can do to change the nation,” he said.
DCAS Director for Sport, Paul Hendricks, spoke about the important role of education and the role sport plays in unifying our country. He stated that an environment must be created where young people can gain and develop skills which enable them to contribute to the development of our country. Mr Hendricks also spoke about the importance of investing in coaches to build a winning nation. “Some of us believe that education is the sole responsibility of teachers. It is the responsibility of coaches as well. They need to assist our sportspeople in building confidence, respect and integrity,” he said.
The winners of the evening were:
- Recreation Body of the Year – Breaking Barriers
- Sports Community Builder of the Year – Annatjie de Klerk
- Recognition of Technical Excellence – Roseline Wolmarans
- Volunteer of the Year – Charmaine Mostert
- Indigenous Games Team of the Year – Team Kho-Kho
- Newcomer of the Year – Johan van Zyl
- Photographer of the Year – Ernest Kilowan
- Journalist of the Year – Peter Daniels
- Developing School Team of the Year – Luckhoff High School Football Team
- School Team of the Year – Paarl Girls’ High School Athletics Team
- School Sportsman of the Year – Paul Daniels
- School Sportswoman of the Year – Kristy Snyman
- Administrator of the Year – Zanne Parson
- Coach of the Year – Elrick Kulsen
- Team of the Year – Batalion Football Club
- District Federation of the Year – Cape Winelands SAPD
- Junior Sportswoman of the Year – Neache Frans
- Junior Sportsman of the Year – Daniel Briers-Louw
- Sportswoman with Disability of the Year – Charne Felix
- Sportsman with Disability of the Year – Reinhardt Hamman
- Sportswoman of the Year – Esmerelda Baadjies
- Sportsman of the Year – Jan-Albert Steenkamp
This was the last regional award function before the Western Cape Provincial Sports Awards Ceremony takes place on 14 September at Mutual Park in Pinelands. Regional award winners will be nominees in the various categories for the provincial event.
DCAS and its partners will continue to support athletes in their goals, giving them the necessary support to continue growing in all their sporting endeavours in the Western Cape, BETTER TOGETHER.