Municipalities to receive sport facility funding from Minister Marais
MEDIA ALERT: MUNICIPALITIES TO RECEIVE SPORT FACILITY FUNDING FROM MINISTER MARAIS
Tomorrow, 16 April 2019, Minister Anroux Marais will officially present ceremonial cheques to municipalities in the Western Cape.
Following requests from the different municipalities on their specific sport facility needs, these cheque handovers signify the funding allocated for the 2018/19 financial year:
- As part of the WOSA programme, R250 000 is allocated to the Saldanha Bay Municipality to upgrade identified facilities.
- Bergrivier will receive R250 000 to upgrade their cricket pitch.
- Mossel Bay in the Eden district will receive R400 000 to build new netball courts.
- Swellendam will receive R165 000 to upgrade the Railton Powel Sports Grounds.
- The Swartland municipality will receive R320 000 to upgrade three sports fields.
- Theewaterskloof will receive R220 000 for the construction of mountain bike trails.
The allocated funding will assist municipalities in ensuring sport development and access to quality sport facilities in vulnerable communities in the Western Cape. This will indeed create increased opportunity through mass participation, skills development and talent identification in the province.
The Mayors of each respective municipality will receive the cheques from Minister Marais at the presentation tomorrow.
ALL MEDIA ARE INVITED TO ATTEND
Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2019
Venue: Ministry of Cultural Affairs and Sport: 8th Floor Protea Assurance Building, Green Market Square.
There will be opportunities for photographs and interviews.
Spokesperson for the Minister of Cultural Affairs and Sport, Anroux Marais
083 504 1171