Western Cape celebrates its sports stars’ achievements at Sport Awards
The annual Western Cape Sports Awards, hosted by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS), took place on Friday 13 March 2015 in Paarl. It was an evening of celebration as the best sporting achievements for 2014/2015 were acknowledged. The event was supported by regional federations, sport councils and district municipalities.
A total of 19 awards were handed over to the province’s elite athletes, federations and media support.
Some of the notable winners on the night were:
- Sportsman of the Year – Jasper Mocke from Western Province Canoeing
- Sportswoman of the Year – Bianca Buitendag from Eden Surfing
- Junior Sportsman of the Year – Cheslin Kolbe from Western Province Rugby
- Junior Sportswoman of the Year – Gezelle Magerman from Cape Winelands Athletics
- Sportsman with a Disability – Ernst van Dyk from Western Province Athletics and Cycling
- Sportswoman with a Disability – Illse Hayes from Western Province Athletics
- Federation of the Year – Western Province Rugby
- Newcomer of the year – Seabelo Senatla from Western Province Rugby
For a full list of the winners, click here.
Both Gezelle Magerman and Ilse Hayes expressed their gratitude to DCAS for always showing support to athletes in the province. “It’s always nice to be recognised for all the hard work that you’ve done through the year. It’s great that DCAS buys into your dream and the department has continuously supported me throughout my career and recognized my hard work,” said Hayes.
Acting Minister of DCAS Anton Bredell reiterated the importance of sport participation in the province and asked the athletes to continue being role models to everyone in their respective communities.
DCAS and its partners recognise the sporting achievements of our provincial athletes. Let us continue to encourage athletes to achieve new heights and to build an active province BETTER TOGETHER.