Team Bring It “brings it” at the Cape Winelands Drama Festival Finale
The Cape Winelands Drama Festival finale took place in spectacular fashion at the Robertson Town Hall on Saturday, 22 November 2014. This year’s event celebrated the theme “20 Years of Democracy”.
The Western Cape Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS), and Langeberg Municipality hosted the event in conjunction with various stakeholders, including the Baxter Theatre, Suidoosterfees, Stellenbosch Municipality, Cape Winelands District Municipality, Klein Libertas Theatre and the Greater Stellenbosch Development Trust.
The overall winner was Team Bring It from Worcester. Vangnet Drama Group from Bonnievale came second. Both groups will perform their work at the Suidoosterfees and at the Baxter Theatre Zabalaza Festival.
Other winners on the night were:
- Best Supporting Actress: Beyonce Guma, Vangnet Drama Group (Bonnievale);
- Best Supporting Actor: Bradley de Koker, Team Bring It (Worcester);
- Best Scriptwriter: Sheline Bothma, Vangnet Drama Group;
- Best Director: Mbulelo Hohlo, Langeberg Committed Artists (Robertson and Nqubela);
- Best Ensemble: Team Bring It;
- Best Actress: Jemina Kleinbooi, Vangnet Drama Group;
- Best Actor: Mbulelo Hohlo, Langeberg Committed Artists; and
- 2nd Runner Up: Langeberg Committed Artists.
Project manager at DCAS Moeniel Jacobs said that everyone had been amazed by the professionalism and high standard of productions at the finale. “You could see the growth of these young artists from the time they presented their productions at the first showcase. Team Bring It has showed the most growth since its first performance at last year’s festival. The group was the clear audience favourite and the members impressed the Zabalaza Festival selectors.”
DCAS will continue to collaborate with various stakeholders to develop the next generation of theatre stars. By identifying emerging talent, and then actively nurturing it, the Department is enabling the performing arts of the province to flourish, better together.
Annerie Pruis-Le Roux
Acting Head of Communication Service
Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport
Tel: 021 483 9730