Members of the Public Can Still Leave Their Message for Madiba
The City of Cape Town has set up various channels that members of the public can use to leave messages about what the late Nelson Mandela meant to them.
Already tens of thousands of messages have been left in the remembrance books and online. These messages will be collected, bound into a commemorative book and sent to the Nelson Mandela Centre of Memory.
Members of the public can visit any of the commemorative sites or Subcouncil offices across the city to lay flowers or write their messages in special remembrance books. Some of the sites close tomorrow, so the City urges residents to capture their messages soon.
The sites will be open as follows:
|Grand Parade, CBD||9-15 December||09:00-20:00|
|Civic Centre, CBD||9-13 December||08:00-15:30|
|OR Tambo Hall, Khayelitsha||9-15 December||10:00-20:00|
|Swartklip sports complex, Mitchells Plain||9-15 December||10:00-20:00|
|Muizenberg Civic Centre||9-15 December||10:00-20:00|
|Vygieskraal sports complex, Athlone||10-15 December||10:00-20:00|
|Bellville Velodrome||9-15 December||11:00-19:00|
|Wesfleur sports complex, Atlantis||9-15 December||10:00-20:00|
- Subcouncil offices will be open from 08:00 – 16:00, Monday to Friday, until tomorrow 13 December 2013 for people to leave their messages.
- Subcouncil 1: Municipal Offices, Royal Ascot, Bridle Way, Milnerton
- Subcouncil 2: Municipal Offices, Brighton Way, Kraaifontein
- Subcouncil 3: Municipal Offices, Voortrekker Road, Goodwood
- Subcouncil 4: Municipal Offices, Corner of Voortrekker and Tallent Roads, Parow
- Subcouncil 5: Municipal Offices, Corner of Jakkalsvlei Avenue and Kiaat Road, Bonteheuwel
- Subcouncil 6: Municipal Offices, Voortrekker Road, Bellville
- Subcouncil 7: Municipal Offices, Oxford Street, Durbanville
- Subcouncil 8: Municipal Offices, Corner of Fagan Street and Main Road, Strand
- Subcouncil 9: Khayelitsha Shopping Centre, Site B, Khayelitsha
- Subcouncil 10: Stocks and Stocks Complex, A Block, Ntlakohlaza and Ntlazane Roads, Khayelitsha
- Subcouncil 11: Fezeka Building, Corner NY1 and Lansdowne Road, Gugulethu
- Subcouncil 12: Lentegeur Administrative Building, Corner of Melkbos and Merrydale Roads, Lentegeur
- Subcouncil 13: Fezeka Building, Corner NY1 and Lansdowne Road, Gugulethu
- Subcouncil 14: Fezeka Building, Corner NY1 and Lansdowne Road, Gugulethu
- Subcouncil 15: Pinelands Training Centre, St Stephens Road, Central Square, Pinelands
- Subcouncil 16: 11th Floor, 44 Wale Street, Cape Town
- Subcouncil 17: Athlone Civic Centre, Corner of Protea and Klipfontein Roads, Athlone
- Subcouncil 18: Corner of Buck Road and 6th Avenue, Lotus River
- Subcouncil 19: Municipal Offices, Central Circle off Recreation Road, Fish Hoek
- Subcouncil 20: Alphen Centre, Constantia Main Road, Constantia
- Subcouncil 21: Municipal Offices, Corner of Van Riebeeck Road and Carinus Street, Kuils River
- Subcouncil 22: Municipal Officers, Corner of Van Riebeeck Road and Carinus Street, Kuils River
- Subcouncil 23: Lentegeur Administrative Building, Corner of Melkbos and Merrydale Roads, Lentegeur
- Subcouncil 24: Corner of Dike and Walters Sisulu Road, Kuyasa North Transport Interchange, Khayelitsha
Messages can also be left online at www.capetown.gov.za/nelsonmandela. Just click on the banner of photos of Madiba at the top of the page, or click on the tab on the left that says ‘condolence messages’. Alternatively residents can visit www.capetown.gov.za and click on the Mandela banner at the top of the page or the ‘post your condolence message’ quick link on the right to be directed to the site.
People can use this opportunity to explain what Madiba meant to them, or share their fondest memory of him.