Stay safe when participating in school sport events
On 27 March 2021, Minister of Basic Education, Mrs Angie Motshekga, gazetted the decision that school sporting events can be held. This include sport matches, physical education, extra-curricular activities, and school sport tournaments. Schools will be expected to comply with additional safety measure as outlined in the Directions.
Although no spectators are allowed and events are subject to compliance to strict hygiene and safety measures to prevent and combat the spread of COVID-19, there are a number of safety precautions that learners, coaches, and teachers can adhere to in order to stay safe.
Learners, coaches, teachers and other relevant persons can stay safe by doing the following:
- Always wearing a mask correctly to cover their nose and mouth when not participating in a sport event
- Maintain a physical distance of 1,5 m from each other
- Wash or sanitise hands often
- Keep windows on school bus or public transport open
- Ensure sport events are outside in fresh air
- Avoid crowds and confined spaces
- Adhere to venue capacity limitations
- Do not participate or join the event if you have any symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has COVID-19 symptoms (cough, fever, sore throat, tight or sore chest, diarrhoea, or body ache)
We urge learners, coaches, teachers, parents, and other parties to work together to protect us from a possible third wave and to keep their loved ones safe.