DSD welcomes donations and provides additional support to old age homes
The Department of Social Development has ensured that 105 000 additional masks have reached various old age homes where the need is the greatest. This brings the total to 120 000 masks distributed to high risk groups, made possible by donations.
Many businesses, NGOs, faith-based organisations and international government entities have made donations to the Western Cape Government as a whole, and in particular, to DSD. Donations have included personal protective gear as well as decontamination services. These have been distributed among vulnerable groups, particularly in Covid 19 hotspot areas.
While all age groups may contract Covid 19, older persons are most vulnerable to developing serious symptoms due to various underlying conditions and comorbidities.
“I would like to thank all of the donors who have reached out to show kindness and caring for the vulnerable in society. There is always a great need in the social sector for this type of support, as many NGOs do not have the necessary funds to pay for the sustained implementation of Covid 19 protocols. These donations will go a long way to assist in ensuring that their charges are kept safe,” says Provincial Minister of Social Development, Sharna Fernandez.
The donations have supplemented the extra support given by the Department of Social Development to facilities, showcasing the difference a whole of society approach can make in addressing Covid 19.
To date, the Department has reprioritised its budget to avail an additional R1.755million to its funded old age homes for the management of Covid 19, over and above existing funding allocations. Other support includes:
- The provision of 120 000 face masks and 5 000 face shields to old age homes;
- The provision of 50 litres of sanitisers to each home;
- Specialised training for carers;
- The facilitation of volunteers to deep-clean old age homes, particularly in poorer areas and hotspots; and
- As far as feasible, the provision of a small number of relief staff to funded facilities.
We wish to thank the Indonesian Consulate, Scientology Volunteer Minister, Rowan Tree, SAB, Reuben Richards, Kellogg’s, MTN, as well as all of the other organisations and individuals for their donations and services.
- Afrikaans: DMO dankbaar vir skenkings en verskaf bykomende ondersteuning aan huise vir bejaardes
- IsiXhosa: I-DSD iyayamkela iminikelo kwaye inika inkxaso eyongezelelweyo kumakhaya abantu abadala