The Safe House: Department launches women’s shelter in Fish Hoek
The Western Cape Department of Social Development (DSD) has continued its Women’s Month celebrations by launching The Safe House, a shelter and safehaven for abused women and children in Fish Hoek.
The Safe House is also the name of our NGO partners, founded by Ms Kathy Cronje, who manages this referrals-based, 10 bed facility. The Safe House provides women and children who are being hurt, abused and violated, with a safe space to stay. The dedicated team of social workers, counsellors and educators at the facility render a basket of services designed to help women and families rebuild their lives.
DSD under the Victim Empowerment Programme, has allocated R464 400 for the Safe House in this financial year. This funding assists the shelter to provide the following services;
- Temporary safe care facilities,
- Therapeutic, developmental and recreational programmes for affected children,
- A sexual assault referral system,
- Counselling, therapy, restoration and healing programmes,
- Public education on issues of abuse and violence,
- Developing new and partnering with existing community-led anti-abuse initiatives,
- Provide skills development programmes to rehabilitate and promote self-sustainability of the clients at the shelter.
This is the sixth shelter being established in the Metro South region alone, and will expand our ability to respond to the incidents of gender violence and abuse in the area.
The public can access the department’s services by walking into any of our local or regional offices throughout the province, or contacting the DSD hotline on 0800 220 250.
Spokesperson for Albert Fritz, Minister of Social Development
Western Cape Government
7th floor, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, 8000
Tel : (021) 483 9217
Cell : 076 083 6543
Email : Sihle.Ngobese@westerncape.gov.za