Traffic Authorities Issue Pay Day Weekend Warning
Avoid the Pay Day Blues.
Code Blue means a fatality in emergency medical services communications.
End-of-the-month pay day weekends continue to show alarming levels of road crashes.
Advice from Traffic Authorities
- Do not mix alcohol and road use. Driving or walking on the roads while intoxicated is a quick way to an early grave. Use public transport if you intend drinking alcohol. Remember that we will be on the roads all night all weekend, and you could end up in jail if you choose to get behind the wheel after drinking.
- If you are travelling in a vehicle, always wear your seatbelt, in the front and back seats – this one second step doubles your chance of surviving a crash. You can also avoid a R1 000 fine.
- Never exceed the speed limit.
- Exercise extreme caution while driving during the following times:
- Friday nights, from 18:00 until midnight.
- Saturday mornings, from 6:00 until 10:00.
- Saturday nights, from 18:00 until 4:00.
- Sunday afternoons, from 15:00 until 21:00.
Pay day means more money available for people to travel, shop and visit loved ones, but it also means more money available for the purchase of alcohol.
Greater mobility and greater access to alcohol are reflected in spikes in the death rate over pay day weekends.
While further data analysis is required to isolate all of the factors involved, the public must exercise extra caution over this time.