Provincial Traffic Weekend Operations
This weekend (23 and 24 January), 25 alcohol blitz roadblocks were held across the Western Cape with a total of 2 175 vehicles stopped as part of Provincial Traffic Services safety campaign.
A total of 1 446 drivers were screened for (being under suspicion of) driving under the influence of alcohol resulting in 30 arrests.
The highest breath alcohol reading was recorded in Swellendam at 1.12 mg/1 000ml, which was four times the legal limit of 0.24 mg/1 000 ml.
A total of 7 833 vehicles were screened for speeding of which 679 speeding offences were recorded. Two hundred and fifty six (256) fines were issued for various traffic violations ranging from driver to vehicle fitness to the amount of R 307 100.
Highest Speeds Recorded
- 173 km/h in a 120 km/h zone on the N1 in the Brackenfell service area.
- 133 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N2 in the Oudtshoorn service area.
Four Other Arrests
- 1 x False Documentation Arrest (Swellendam).
- 1 x Reckless and Negligent Arrest (Laingsburg).
- 1 x Dagga Arrest (Swellendam).
- 1 x Illegal Immigrant Arrested (Mossel Bay).
Three fatalities were recorded this weekend.
Greater Cape Metropole
- Gugulethu – 1 Pedestrian
- Kraaifontein - 1 Pedestrian
Eden Central Karoo
- Beaufort West - 1 Driver