Expanded Public Works Programme Creates More than 100 000 Jobs in Western Cape
Five projects of the Western Cape Expanded Public Works (EPWP) won national EPWP Kamosa awards and those projects assisted in creating close to 110 000 work opportunities in the province in 2012/2013.
The projects were:
- Cape Agulhas Municipality (Long Street Project) for Category Infrastructure: Best Construction Project.
- Western Cape Department Cultural Affairs and Sport (for the MOD sports centres) in the Category Social Sector: Best Project.
- City of Cape Town (Best Municipality) in the Category Social Sector.
- Department of Environmental Affairs, Western Cape, in the Category Environment and Culture Sector, Best National Project Award.
- City of Cape Town, Category Environment and Culture, Best Metro/District Municipality Award.
The EPWP in the Western Cape is driven by the Department of Transport and Public Works. The EPWP focuses on government funded programmes that can provide work opportunities and income relief for the unemployed.
Since 2009 the Western Cape provided the following work opportunities:
Overall Provincial Performance (including municipal, provincial and national contributions)
The Chief Director of the EPWP programme in the Western Cape, Mr Richard Petersen said the Province participated in the EPWP since inception in 2004.
According to him, all provincial departments and municipalities have endorsed the programme by signing protocol agreements to promote the objective of the EPWP.
He said the objective was to create work opportunities for the poor and vulnerable people in the province through labour based projects across all government departments, municipalities and other public entities. In addition a number of skills programmes are also implemented such as learnerships, artisan programmes and internships.
The National Department of Public Works and Provincial Departments that drive the EPWP in the respective provinces are participating in a programme from 28 November to 4 December 2013 to highlight EPWP projects.
Head of Communication
Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works
Tel: 021 483 9653
Fax: 021 483 9851
Cell: 083 626 1361