De Doorns Public Engagement
Deputy President Motlanthe; Other National Ministers; Members of Parliament; Western Cape ministers; Mayors; esteemed guests, farm workers, community members and members of the press:
I want to thank all the different spheres of government from all the various Departments present here today. Deputy President Motlanthe: Thank you for understanding that the challenges we have to solve here in De Doorns are not only the responsibility of agriculture. We need the entire South African Government to work together to find solutions. We need all three spheres of government to work together in this regard.
Deputy President: On a provincial level the Western Cape Government has drafted a 12 step action plan in addressing the rural unrest we experienced in 2012. This plan has been approved by our cabinet and we are in the process of implementing it.
The Western Cape Government wants to work together with farm workers and farmers to address their concerns. Together we can make it better. Here are our plans:
1. A helpline, number 0860 142 142, dedicated for farm worker issues has been activated.
2. We are investigating new housing models for farm workers.
3. We are going to facilitate training courses for farm workers to use high-tech equipment.
4. Engagement sessions for farm workers and farmers are organised in order to improve dialogue and understanding.
5. We will provide support for farm worker structures and development programmes.
6. We will invest in sport opportunities for farm workers.
7. We will focus on youth empowerment in rural areas.
8. Ethical trade initiatives are being supported.
9. Best practice case studies are compiled to act as a guide for other industry role players.
10. A Province-wide farm worker survey is being conducted. This will assist us in providing better support to the farm worker community.
11. A farm worker communication strategy will highlight worker rights.
12. We are financing an independent research project, Future for Agricultural and Rural Economy, (FARE) to build a shared future vision for the Provincial agricultural sector. This research project has also been accepted by the ANC. This shows the level of commitment on all sides to make a positive contribution.
Allow me a request: Can we please attach dates and time frames by when the details have to be finalised. Can we have implementation dates for the various actions? This will provide much needed stability and certainty for the agricultural sector.