Cape Town Number One Municipality
Statement by Anton Bredell, Minister of Local Governemnt, Environmental Affairs and Development Planning
I am pleased to confirm that Western Cape municipalities have again been rated by Municipal IQ Productivity Index among the top performing municipalities in South Africa.
Cape Town is in the top position among metro municipalities and there are seven Western Cape local municipalities in the top 10.
This is really a great achievement as it again highlights the success of the Western Cape Government’s efforts to ensure that our municipalities are performing to the best of their ability and are service driven.
This productivity index places the focus on a number of very important issues that include:
- Poverty levels and how well a municipality responds to poverty (through access to indigent support).
- Access to basic municipal services.
- Economic “intelligence” (infrastructure used by residents to participate in the economy) and the make-up of the economy (skills level, education, employment).
- Financial governance and expenditure levels by individual municipalities.
- The vacancy rates within any particular municipality.
MPI Results for South Africa’s Eight Largest Cities Are as Follows:
|Nelson Madela Bay||65.2|
Seven out of ten top-performing local municipalities are in the Western Cape.
Top Ten Most Productive Local Municipalities:
|Name||Rank 2013 Score|
|Saldanha Bay (WC)||60.1|
|Mossel Bay (WC)||58.0|
|Steve Tshwete (Mp)||57.4|
|Merafong City (Gt)||56.7|
This achievement again underlines our ongoing efforts to ensure that the Western Cape government remains the number one province in South Africa and to become the best run regional government in the world.
The results of the Municipal IQ Productivity Index shows that we are making progress in achieving these objectives with the Western Cape leading all other provinces when it comes to poverty alleviation, the provision of basic services, increasing economic growth and good financial governance.
Cell: 082 574 3773
Rudolf van Jaarsveld
Cell: 076 319 5027