Western Cape wins big at World Travel Awards, Africa 2020
Congratulations to the Western Cape winners of the World Travel Awards’ Africa 2020 category which were announced yesterday (9 November 2020) and which reaffirm our status as a world-class travel destination.
For the fourth consecutive year, Cape Town International Airport have been awarded the title of ‘Africa’s Leading Airport’, while the City of Cape Town were awarded the title of ‘Africa’s Leading Festival & Event Destination' for the third consecutive year, and Table Mountain picked up the ‘Africa’s Leading Tourist Attraction’ title for the second consecutive year.
Other Western Cape winners include:
- Plettenberg Bay Tourism for ‘Africa's Leading Beach Destination 2020’
- Pezula Resort Hotel & Spa for ‘Africa's Leading Sports Resort 2020’
- Villa Two @ Ellerman House for ‘Africa's Leading Luxury Hotel Villa 2020’
- Rhino Africa for 'Africa's Leading Luxury Tour Operator 2020'
- Go2Africa for 'Africa's Leading Safari Company 2020'
- Lawhill Luxury Apartments for ‘Africa's Leading Serviced Apartments 2020’ and ‘South Africa's Leading Serviced Apartments 2020’
- Manna Bay for ‘Africa's Leading Design Hotel 2020’ and ‘South Africa's Leading Design Hotel 2020’
- Club Travel for 'Africa's Leading Travel Agency 2020' and 'South Africa's Leading Travel Agency 2020'
- Morukuru Beach Lodge for ‘South Africa's Leading Beach Hotel 2020’
- The Manor House at Fancourt for ‘South Africa's Leading Country House Hotel 2020’
- Lanzerac Hotel & Spa for ‘South Africa's Leading Wine Region Hotel 2020’
- Giltedge Africa for 'South Africa's Leading Luxury Tour Operator 2020'
- Springbok Atlas Tours & Safaris for 'South Africa's Leading Tour Operator 2020'
- Travelstart for 'South Africa's Leading Online Travel Agency 2020'
Considering that the World Travel Awards are the most prestigious, comprehensive and sought-after awards programme in the global travel and tourism industry, receiving these awards is welcome recognition of the continued excellence we offer visitors to Cape Town and the Western Cape.
In addition, the tourism sector has been hard-hit by the Covid-19 pandemic this year, and so these awards are a confidence boost to the sector which has shown great resilience and adaption during this difficult time.
We look forward to the announcement of the World 2020 category of the World Travel Awards’ later in the month for which a number of our attractions and experiences in the Western Cape have been shortlisted. We wish all nominees the best of luck.
The upcoming summer season will be an important period for our tourism and travel sector as we seek to rebuild our economy and save jobs in the Western Cape.
It has has been important to us that Cape Town and the Western Cape are front of mind for those looking to book their next holiday, and so we will continue to run our “We Are Open” campaigns to drive awareness of the best that the Western Cape has to offer, and importantly convert the interest in our world-class attractions and experiences into bookings.
We will also continue to call on national government to review the restrictions on international travel and the ‘red list” which is currently preventing travellers from our key source markets from visiting the Western Cape during the critical summer season period.
And finally, we will continue to work closely with businesses in the tourism and travel industry to ensure destination readiness and that the necessary safety protocols are in place so we can all stay safe and move forward.
For more information on the World Travel Awards Africa 2020 winners visit www.worldtravelawards.com/press-401
Listen to soundbyte by Minister David Maynier (click on the three dots to download)
Spokesperson for the Provincial Minister of Finance and Economic Opportunities
(Responsible for the Provincial Treasury and the Department of Economic Development and Tourism)
Tel: 021 483 4327
Cell: 071 087 5150