Western Cape Honours Province's Top Teachers in Teaching Awards
Media Statement by Donald Grant, Minister of Education
Tonight, the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) will announce the names of the top teachers in the province.
The department is honouring 47 regional and provincial winners and will present awards in eight categories.
The awards follow a rigorous selection process in all eight education districts of the province and regional finals involving clusters of districts.
The awards form part of the National Teaching Awards Programme managed by the Department of Basic Education (DBE).
About 32 000 teachers in the Western Cape were eligible for nomination. The names of the provincial winners will go forward to the national competition.
The provincial adjudication panel spent many hours identifying the winners according to strict criteria provided by the DBE.
The panel included representatives of all sectors of the education community, including all teacher trade unions, school governing body associations and WCED officials.
The awards recognise excellence in teaching and education leadership and provide an opportunity to showcase and celebrate excellence throughout the education system.
The eight categories are:
- Excellence in Grade R teaching.
- Excellence in primary school teaching (Grades 1-7).
- Excellence in secondary school teaching (Grades 8-12).
- Excellence in primary school leadership.
- Excellence in secondary school leadership.
- Excellence in special needs teaching.
- Excellence in adult basic education and training Levels 1-4 in the GET band.
- Lifetime Achievement Award.
The DBE will announce the date of the national awards later.
List of the provincial finalists of the awards (MS Word document: 39.5 KB).