Minister Fernandez urges public to use Provincial Disability-Desk
The Western Cape Minister of Social Development, Sharna Fernandez, is urging the public to make use of the Provincial Disability-Desk that resides in her Department.
Minister Fernandez said, “The Provincial Disability-Desk is headed by the recently appointed Ms. Nomvuyo Mabulesa. The ‘Desk’ serves a critical role in co-ordinating a collaborative effort towards recognizing the rights of Persons with Disabilities.”
Minister Fernandez added, “The Disability-Desk also conducts access audits on our service delivery areas, with the view of rectifying access challenges.”
The main functions of the Disability-Desk include:
Disability mainstreaming; policy and development:
- Focal point for policy development and technical input across provincial departments on disability mainstreaming policy development.
Community of Practice:
- Engage and consult more actively with relevant stakeholders in a common platform by sharing expert knowledge and information including best practices on mainstreaming and inclusion.
Disability inclusive advisory support:
- Provide technical advisory support to internal stakeholders transversally, on disability mainstreaming, including input on work plans and budgets to ensure disability inclusion.
- Advocacy and capacity development on disability inclusion to ensure inclusive programmatic design and implementation.
- Improve the quality and quantity of disability data collection to strengthen transparency and accountability.
While the current pandemic poses additional challenges to those who are already living in difficult situations, the Department continues to grow services to people living with disabilities, including services to people with moderate and high support needs (severe and profound) intellectual disabilities. Furthermore, during the financial year under review, more than 91 181 living with disabilities (per our verified data of 2019/20) accessed our development of social welfare services.
The Department has developed an Easy Read booklet containing information about Covid-19 in a manner that is accessible to people with disabilities.
The booklet can be downloaded by clicking here.
“If we are to truly live in a society where we are ‘Better Together’, it is of crucial importance that the provision of integrated programmes and services to persons with disabilities and their families/ caregivers are available. Furthermore, we remain committed to promoting disability mainstreaming to ensure that government services are accessible and inclusive,” concluded Minister Fernandez.
For information on the core functions of the DisabilityDesk, please contact:
Disability Desk Manager
Ms. Nomvuyo Mabusela
Any persons interested in finding out more information about the services we offer those people living with disabilities can make contact with our department by calling, 0800 220 250, to be directed to your nearest local DSD office.
We urge the public to access credible information on https://www.westerncape.gov.za/department-of-health/coronavirus.
For more information about our other services, please refer to the Western Cape Department’s Website below: