Social Development Month: DSD services expanded by over 100% since 2009
As we mark Social Development Month in October, the Western Cape Department of Social Development (DSD) is proud to be playing a leading role in building a self-reliant society.
To mark our commitment to social development, DSD has over the last 6 years increased our provincial footprint by 176%. From 1 head office and 16 district offices in 2009, to 1 head office overseeing 6 regional offices and 40 local offices. Our commitment to bringing services closer to communities has meant residents have better access to key services for children, youth, people living with disabilities, substance abusers, victims of violence, and older persons.
The Western Cape Minister of Social Development, Adv. Albert Fritz, has driven key recent developments and successes in this regard including;
- The recent launch of three new local offices in Bredasdorp, Grassy Park and Fish Hoek.
- DSD has registered 1526 ECD centres which serve 115 197 children.
- The George Youth Café was launched and has trained 1051 so far.
- DSD funding to NGOs reached a milestone of just over R1-billion (R1 059 406 000) which also allowed us to raise NGO social work salaries by 40%.
- Increased the number of drug treatment sites from 7 to 25, and introduced specialized treatment for children aged 13 – 15 at Lindelani and 16 – 17 at De Novo Treatment Centres.
- Recently launched the Khuseleka One-Stop Centre which provides holistic and multi-stakeholder support to victims of domestic abuse and violence at one site.
- The DSD Inspectorate is in the final stages of set-up and will oversee and investigate abuse claims at all facilities, especially Old Age Homes.
Key to our efforts will be to continue to adopt a whole-of-society approach, which involves building partnerships with the private sector, NGOs, and individuals in our communities. The public can access our services and dedicated team of social workers by visiting any of our regional or local offices closest to them, or by contacting the DSD hotline on 0800 220 250.
Spokesperson for Albert Fritz, Minister of Social Development
Western Cape Government
7th floor, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, 8000
Tel : (021) 483 9217
Cell : 076 083 6543
Email : Sihle.Ngobese@westerncape.gov.za