Call for Proposals: Evaluation of Criminal Capacity of Children
Invitation for proposals on categories of persons competent to conduct evaluations of the Criminal Capacity of Children in terms of The Child Justice Act, 75 Of 2008
The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development invites interested parties to submit written proposals in respect of persons competent to conduct criminal capacity evaluations of children 10 years and older, but younger than 14 years in terms of section 11 of the Act.
In terms of section 7 (2) of the Act, a child of this age is presumed to lack criminal capacity unless the State proves beyond a reasonable doubt the capacity of the child to:
- Appreciate the difference between right and wrong at the time of the commission of the alleged offence; and,
- Act in accordance with that appreciation.
The criminal capacity evaluations must include an assessment on the following aspects: the cognitive, moral, psychological and social development of the child.
The proposals are required for the purposes of a new notice which is to be issued in terms of section 97 (3) of the Act.
The written proposals must be submitted not later than 29 August 2014, marked for the attention of Ms T Skhosana:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Fax: 086 648 7875
- Postal Address: The Director-General: Justice and Constitutional Development, Private Bag x81, Pretoria, 0001
- Hand Delivery: SALU Building, Room 23.03, 315 Thabo Sehume Street, Pretoria