Western Cape Community Safety Act Regulations - Consultative sessions underway
The Department of Community Safety will be hosting public consultation workshops across the province between today and 9 February 2016, on the Community Safety Act Regulations published on 11 December 2015.
The consultative sessions aim to provide the platform for interested members of the safety fraternity as well as the general public to make submissions on the regulations which are open for comment until 15 February 2016.
The consultative workshops are scheduled for:
- 1 February 2016 – Beaufort West – Olive Grove Guestfarm;
- 2 February 2016 – George – Protea Hotel Outeniqua;
- 3 February 2016 – Caledon – Caledon Casino Hotel and Spa;
- 4 February 2016 – Worcester – Protea Hotel Cumberland;
- 5 February 2016 – Citrusdal – Piekenierskloof Mountain Lodge;
- 8 February 2016 – Mitchell’s Plain – Lentegeur Auditorium; and
- 9 February 2016 – Cape Town CBD – Strand Towers Hotel.
The final set of regulations pertaining to the Community Safety Act makes provision for:
- The monitoring, oversight and assessment of policing;
- Accreditation and the support of Neighbourhood Watches (NHWs);
- Database of and partnerships with community organisations (including security service providers); and
- Regular reporting on crime statistics by the Provincial Commissioner and the Executive Head of the Municipal Police.
Through constructive comments on the published draft regulations, the Department of Community Safety can ensure that the vital safety services, available to the public is standardised, structured and supported by the Department to help ensure quality policing services is provided to all the people in the Western Cape.
The draft regulations are available on the Department of Community Safety’s website (https://westerncape.gov.za/dept/community-safety/documents/public_info/C/39408 ) and any submissions on the regulations can be sent, before 15 February 2016, for attention: Adv JC Gerber SC, by
- Posting it to:
Department of Community Safety,
Directorate: monitoring & Evaluation
PO Box 5346
- Delivering it to:
The office of the Head of the Department of Community Safety
35 Wale Street
- Faxing it to:
086 531 4283
- E-mailing it to:
Spokesperson for Minister Plato
Cell: 079 694 1113