Media Alert: Rescue Missions - 5 February 2012 | Western Cape Government


Media Alert: Rescue Missions - 5 February 2012

4 February 2012

Western Cape Government Health's Emergency Medical Services (EMS) responded to multiple incidents over the weekend:

On 5 February 2012 at 11:40 in the vicinity of Platteklip Gorge, Table Mountain - EMS dispatched a team of four emergency medical rescuers to assist on the medical rescue of two adult females who suffered symptoms of dehydration and fatigue after hiking on Table Mountain. One adult female was treated for mild dehydration and was walked down the mountain by EMS Rescuers. The second patient, also an adult female in her twenties, was packaged into a stretcher and hoisted to a parking area by the AMS Rescue Helicopter as she was suffering from severe dehydration and fatigue. Both patients refused medical transportation.

At 14:05 near Silvertree (area between Platteklip Gorge and Devil's Peak) - A medical rescue team of four were activated to rescue a hiker that had difficulty getting off a ledge on the mountain. Rescuers experienced some difficulty with regard to accessing the patient and a AMS/Rescue team was sent to retrieve the patient. The paramedic was hoisted down from the AMS Rescue helicopter. The patient was then packaged in a specialised stretcher and airlifted to a safe landing zone.

At 18:30 on the corner of Alexander and Crawford roads - In a motor vehicle accident between two cars, one adult male required assistance from Emergency Medical Rescuers and had to be removed from the wreckage using the Jaws of Life after he suffered minor neck and back injuries. He was transported to Vincent Palotti Hospital.

At 23:39 near Moutonshoek Valley, Piketberg - Emergency Medical Rescuers responded to a call activated by local West Coast Fire and Rescue after a fireman fell to his death while working on a mountain fire. According to the EMS Incident Commander, it is believed that a team of seven firemen had been working on eradicating the fire, when the area they had been standing on gave way and one of the fireman fell approximately 30 metres down the mountain. He was declared dead on arrival by emergency personnel.

EMS sent a crew of two rescuers up the mountain to locate the Fire and Rescue team last night. They camped out with the team until morning and walked the firemen down the mountain. None of them required medical assistance or transportation to a health facility. They are currently being treated for shock.

Media Enquiries: 

Keri Davids
Principal Communications Officer: Emergency Medical Services
Tel: 021 948 9908
Cell: 083 286 4227