The Western Cape Government Provincial Cecilia Makiwane Nursing Award Nominees
It is with the greatest of pride that the Department introduces the Western Cape Government Health Provincial Cecilia Makiwane Nursing Award 2014 nominees.
The award was named after Cecilia Makiwane, the first registered professional black nurse in South Africa. Several honours have been bestowed upon Cecilia Makiwane and show the regard with which the medical fraternity holds her. Amongst them are: a statue of Makiwane erected in 1977 and a hospital near East London named after her.
The Department wishes to express its sincere gratitude to those who form the backbone of our health system. Nurses make a real contribution to the health system in the Western Cape.
The selection criteria for the award
• Living up to the nurses’ pledge and nursing ethics
• Going beyond the call of duty
• Having a positive attitude to patients and colleagues
• Contributing to effective management
• Being part of a multi-disciplinary health care team
1. Shirley James (Western Cape Rehabilitation Centre)
2. Brenda Joshua (Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital)
3. Magrieta Maarman (Louwville Clinic, Vredenburg)
4. Charmaine van Rooyen (Karl Bremer Hospital)
5. Delena Cloete (Overberg District Municipality)
6. Dannelene Noach (Mitchells Plain Hospital)
7. Judiac Renape (Lady Michaelis Community Day Centre)
8. Kay Ann Simpson (Drakenstein Sub-District)
9. Jason Jafta (Oudtshoorn Hospital)
10. Elizabeth September (Lentegeur Psychiatric Hospital)
11. Bertha Bailey (Tygerberg Hospital)
12. Galiema Gamieldien (Groote Schuur Hospital)
13. Bukelwa Sibidla (Michael Mapongwana Community Day Centre)
14. Evalina van Wijk (Western Cape College Of Nursing)
These 14 nominees were nominated by their peers in the province and an adjudication panel chose the winners.
The ceremony will be taking place at the Stellenbosch Town Hall on 10 November 2014 at 18:00. The department wishes all the nominees the best of luck.
Hear what the nominees have to say about nursing and why they love what they do:
Bertha Bailey (Tygerberg Hospital)bertha_baily_-_tygerberg_hospital.mp3
Bukelwa Sibidla (Michael Mapongwana Community Day Centre)bukelwa_sibidla_-_micheal_mapongwane_cdc.mp3
Galiema Gamieldien (Groote Schuur Hospital)galiema_gamieldien_-_groote_schuur_hospital.mp3
Magrieta Maarman (Louwville Clinic, Vredenburg)magrieta_maarman_-louwville_clinic_vredenburg.mp3