Fifty-two Fines Issued at Laingsburg Roadblock
The following stakeholders held a roadblock outside Laingsburg on 7 December 2012:
- Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works.
- Provincial Traffic.
- Road Accident Fund (RAF).
- South African Police Service.
- Emergency Medical Services of the Western Cape Department of Health.
The exercise started at 19:00 and ended just before midnight.
During the roadblock 108 private vehicles, buses, minibus taxis, and trucks were thoroughly inspected.
The officials who took part in the exercise focused on:
- Drunken driving.
- Fatigue management.
- Safety belt offences.
- Failure to produce Professional Driving Permits.
- Public transport vehicle/driver violation.
- Invalid and fraudulent licences.
- Vehicle related incidents such as illegal number plates and defective vehicles.
Fourteen drivers were screened for drunken driving but no arrests were made. Fifty-two fines worth R23 900 were issued.