Stilbaai roadworks nearing completion
A R156 million Department of Transport and Public Works (DTPW) project to rehabilitate and make design improvements to the R305 between Stilbaai and the N2 is nearing completion. Work started in January 2016 and is expected to be complete in March 2018.
Completed sections of the road have been opened to through traffic since December 2017. The only outstanding parts of the project are:
- work on the last 500 m of road towards the bridge at Stilbaai,
- work on the climbing lane, approximately 3 km from Stilbaai,
- final sealing from km 12 to the bridge at Stilbaai,
- the paved walkway from Melhoutfontein to Stilbaai, and
- general finishing and cleaning of the road reserve.
During the construction period, many people have benefited directly from the short-term employment and skills training opportunities that the project has delivered. Contract expenditure to date is R11,7 million for targeted enterprises, and R2 million for local labour from the Hessequa local municipal area.
The Department thanks motorists for their patience and urges them to exercise caution at all times. Motorists are already enjoying a safer and more pleasant travelling experience on the R305.