Rehabilitation and design improvements near Stilbaai
A R156 million Department of Transport and Public Works project to rehabilitate and make design improvements to the R305 between Stilbaai and the N2 started in January 2016 is expected to be completed in March 2018. This primary access route to the town intersects with the N2 approximately 10 km east of Riversdale.
Ongoing development in Stilbaai and Jongensfontein has resulted in a considerable increase in traffic along the R305. During the holiday season, the amount of traffic doubles, and there is severe congestion in Stilbaai. Road crash statistics are steadily increasing. Although the road has been resealed several times, with the last resealing (sand sealing) taking place in 2002, comprehensive evaluations have shown that over 30% of the road pavement structure has failed. Comprehensive rehabilitation of the road is therefore necessary, as well as design improvements to enhance traffic flow and road safety.
In addition to the rehabilitation of the existing pavement structure, the following improvements have been included in the project scope of works:
- Building 1,5-metre wide surfaced shoulders on both sides,
- Building passing lanes on steep uphill gradients,
- A minor realignment of the road to eliminate the sharp bend at the area known as “skerpkoppies”, approximately 14 km from the N2,
- The introduction of an exclusive turning lane for northbound traffic turning right towards Melkhoutfontein,
- The construction of a sidewalk/ separate footway along the R305 for pedestrians walking between the Melkhoutfontein intersection and Stilbaai, and
- The introduction of a mini traffic circle to replace the three-way stop at the Goukou River Bridge.
There will be half-width construction with stop/ go operations during the day and a traffic light system at night.
Ten percent of the total value of the contract will be spent on targeted enterprises and a total of 30 000 person-days of work will be created for people from the Hessequa local municipal area.
Follow the Department on Twitter @WCGovTPW under the hashtag #roadworksWC.
Department of Transport and Public Works
Tel: 021 483 9813
Cell: 079 281 8570
You can follow the Department of Transport and Public Works on Twitter: @WCGovTPW