Chapman’s Peak Toll Tariff Increase
The annual increase of the Chapman’s Peak Drive toll tariff fees will take effect on 1 August 2013.
The increase arises from a contractual arrangement between the Department of Transport and Public Works and the Concessionaire and is determined according to the percentage increase between the Consumer Price Index (CPI) in March the previous year and March the current year, plus 0.4 %. This year the percentage increase is 6.3% and in 2012 it was 6.45%.
The notice to increase appeared in the Government Gazette on 19 July 2013.
The following vehicles are exempted from paying toll fees:
- South African Police Service motor vehicles in the performance of duty.
- South African National Defence Force vehicles in the performance of duty.
- Western Cape Government emergency vehicles and Traffic Police vehicles in the performance of duty.
- City of Cape Town emergency services vehicles and Traffic police vehicles in performance of duty.
- Ambulances used for an ambulance service licensed in terms of the Western Cape Ambulance Services Act, 2012 (Act 3 of 2010) used in the performance of ambulance services.
- Fire-fighting vehicles as defined in section 1 of the National Road Traffic Act, 1996 (Act 93 of 1996) used in the performance of fire-fighting services.
- Rescue vehicles as defined in section 1 of the National Road Traffic Act,1996 (Act 93 of 1996) used in the performance of rescuing services.
The table below illustrates the tariff toll increase since 2009. Minibuses were previously classified as Class 3 but from 1 August 2013 will pay fees as a Class 2 vehicle.
Motorcycle /Motor Tricycles/Motor Quad bikes
Light Motor Vehicle/Minibus and Utility vehicles
Registered Minibus taxis ferrying passengers
Midibus/Medium Heavy Motor Vehicle
Bus/Med Heavy Motor vehicle
Please not that all increases are rounded down to the nearest Rand.
Discount tariffs are applicable to users who have pre-registered with the concessionaire and who maintain a minimum balance of R50.00 in their accounts. Discounted tariffs are only applicable to non-commercial use only.
Visit the Chapman's Peak website for more information.