Earthquake Exhibition tells previously unheard stories
On Friday, 24 October 2014, Minister Nomafrench Mbombo officially opened the extended Earthquake Exhibition at the Oude Kerk Volksmuseum in Tulbagh. This exhibition was supported through funding from the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) and the National Lottery.
This exhibition tells the story of the earthquake that hit Tulbagh in 1969. It measured at 6.3 on the Richter scale and caused extensive damage to the buildings of the town. The exhibition also tells the story of people from previously disadvantaged communities and how they were affected.
Awie Andreas was one of the guests present who experienced the earthquake. His story is also told in the exhibition. “We woke up and everything was shaking,” he said, “All I can say is I hope I never have to experience that again”. He also said that he was proud that his story is now part of the exhibition.
Museum Manager Calvin van Wyk said they felt this exhibition plays an important role in giving a complete picture of the history of Tulbagh. “We have included important stories about what happened and how the town was rebuilt.” he said.
Minister Mbombo mentioned the importance of capturing the untold stories of community members: “It is through the telling of their stories, that we capture and preserve history”, she said.
The exhibition is now open to members of the public. DCAS continues to support museums to preserve our country’s history and to tell the stories of the past. We want communities to continue to support the museums by visiting and promoting them. Let us preserve our heritage BETTER TOGETHER.