The Western Cape Funding Fair 2016
Are you a Western Cape business owner or entrepreneur?
The Western Cape Department of Economic Development and Tourism (DEDAT), in partnership with Deloitte, will host the Western Cape Funding Fair to facilitate face-to-face contact between project promoters, entrepreneurs and various funding institutions from across different regions in the province.
The rationale behind the fair is to get as many project promoters to pitch their ideas to as many funders and investors as possible, in a focused one-day session. The aim is to educate and empower project promoters and entrepreneurs on the holistic approach and processes to follow in turning ideas into bankable business plans that have a higher probability of attracting the right type of funding and investment.
The Funding Fair format comprises the following 3 elements:
- Project pitches: The preselected project promoters/entrepreneurs are given a 20-minute slot to pitch their business plans to a group of funding bodies. The projects attracting interest with funding bodies will be contacted for further discussions.
- Topic presentations: Topical sessions will be held throughout the day by Deloitte specialists and external speakers. Project promoters and general delegates are invited to attend the presentations and network with the presenters.
- Exhibition: Each funding body has the opportunity to set up an exhibition stand to promote their business products and services as well as connect with the attendees at the Funding Fair.
According to Deloitte Western Cape regional leader Marius Alberts, they recognise "the important role that SMEs play in our economy and are proud to partner with Government to provide a unique platform for funders to connect with business owners and stimulate economic growth in the Western Cape region”.
Who is invited to get involved?
Invitations to the Western Cape Funding Fair will be extended across the funding landscape to commercial banks, venture capital fund managers and development finance institutions (DFIs).
Projects/entrepreneurs/enterprises that are based in the Western Cape were invited to apply for funding. There are 2 categories for funding applications:
- Projects/entrepreneurs/enterprises that require between R2 million and R20 million in funding
- Projects/entrepreneurs/enterprises that require more than R20 million in funding
Delegates include anyone who might be interested in attending the Funding Fair. It is open to all and will provide the opportunity to engage with funders and attend topical presentations and plenary sessions.
Delegates are invited to attend free of charge and should register their attendance via the official Western Cape Funding Fair website.
- 23 November 2015 – 24 March 2016
- Applications opened for funding via the official Western Cape Funding Fair website.
- 24 March 2016
- Applications closed at midnight.
- 4 May 2016
- Preparation workshop - Finalist workshop to prepare for pitch session.
- 25 May 2016
- The Western Cape Funding Fair event at Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) (8am -5pm)
- Qualifying entrepreneurs and project promoters are given the opportunity to pitch their business propositions and funding requests in a closed pitching session to a panel representing major funding bodies.
- Deloitte specialists and external speakers will be talking about areas of interest throughout the day. Project promoters and general delegates are invited to attend the talks in the auditorium and network with the presenters.
- Funders will have the opportunity to exhibit at the fair, and engage with project promoters and the general public regarding the funding they offer.
“We know that project funding is a stumbling block for many entrepreneurs. Through this Funding Fair, which is a joint initiative between government and business, we are aiming to address this Better Together” said, Western Cape Minister of Economic Opportunities, Alan Winde.