The Climate Change Directorate coordinates the provincial response to climate change. Our internal approach is to integrate adaptation (resilience) and mitigation (low carbon) measures into the social and economic developmental service delivery goals of the Western Cape Government. The Western Cape Government has a cabinet endorsed strategy “Western Cape Climate Change Response Strategy 2014” which outlines the approach for the government and region in partnership with numerous stakeholders.
The Strategy has a two-pronged approach to addressing climate change:
- Mitigation: contribute to national and global efforts to significantly reduce GHG emissions and build a sustainable low carbon economy, which simultaneously addresses the need for economic growth, job creation and improving socio-economic conditions.
- Adaptation: reduce climate vulnerability and develop the adaptive capacity of the Western Cape’s economy, its people, its ecosystems and its critical infrastructure in a manner that simultaneously addresses the province’s socio-economic and environmental goals.
- Coordinate the Western Cape Climate Change Response Strategy, and the Climate Change Response Forum and Work Group
- Coordinate and provide technical advice on integrating climate change responses across all sectors
- Undertake climate change policy and strategy development and implementation support
- Catalyse climate change research, knowledge development, partnerships and financing
- Lead the coordination of energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions reporting
- Provide climate change Municipal Support
Municipal Climate Change Response Plans
- West Coast District
- Overberg District
Overberg Climate Change Response Framework 2017 (pdf, 5.73 MB)
The Economic Risks and Opportunities of Climate Resilience in the Western Cape
Climate Change Mitigation Scenarios for the Energy Sector (2015)
Sea Level Rise Risk Assessments (2011/12):
Other Research Reports
Climate Change Brochures:
Increasing Investment in Climate Change Related Projects at the Sub National Level (DEA&DP & TAU 2013):
Funding sources for municipalities:
The Western Cape Climate Change Projects Database captures climate change mitigation and adaptation projects that are being (or were) implemented in the Western Cape to date.
Click on the link below to download the Western Cape Climate Change Projects Database:
To upload a new project to the database, or to update an existing project, please download and complete the CC Projects Database Template below and email to the address provided:
Contact the database administrator via email here.
General enquiries: 021 483 3966