We promote safer roads in the Western Cape through education, and strategic and integrated traffic management.
Traffic law enforcement
Provincial traffic officers maintain law and order for all types of transport through integrated traffic policing operations and other initiatives:
- Fatigue awareness
- Average Speed Over Distance (ASOD) camera system
- Central communication centres to track the movement of patrol motor vehicle on any roadway
- Alcohol evidentiary centres
We launched the Random Breath Testing (RBT) Initiative together with municipalities and national government in 2017. During an RBT operation, traffic officers conduct rapid, lightweight, vehicle check points (VCPs) at multiple locations in a single shift.
Read more about traffic law enforcement
- New mobile alcohol evidentiary unit to combat drink driving over Festive Season
- Creating booze-free roads in the Overberg
- Decade of Action (Department of Transport website)
Director: Farrel Payne
Tel: 021 483 6085
Road safety management and education
We inform and teach different road user groups – pedestrians, drivers, passengers and non-motorised transport users. We also customise our campaigns for particular age groups – children, youth, adults and seniors.
Danny Cat is our road safety mascot created to appeal to young children, particularly learners between Grade R and Grade 3. He adds an element of excitement while creating awareness about road safety.
Preschools and primary schools can book a session with Danny Cat by calling Road Safety Management on 021 483 6971.
Read more about road safety management and education
Director: Mark Jansen
Tel: 021 483 6958
Traffic training and development
Our Gene Louw Traffic College in Brackenfell offers training in road traffic law enforcement for traffic officers, examiner of vehicles training, and a number of specialised short courses.
For admission to the traffic officer’s course, you have to have secured a traffic officer’s position in a local authority or in a provincial administration.
Read more about traffic training and development
- Gene Louw Traffic College
- Traffic officer students to bolster festive season road safety efforts
- Traffic wardens - graduation
Director: Donald Lakey
Tel: 021 483 2213
Watch: Pikkie Penguin in #ShareTheRoad with pedestrians