New and upgraded health facilities
The Department of Transport and Public Works is responsible for building and upgrading health facilities for the Western Cape Department of Health and boasts a picturesque portfolio of projects which include community day centres, clinics, emergency centres and hospitals.
In line with the Western Cape Government’s vision, we aim to “lead in the delivery of government infrastructure and related services”.
The Western Cape Department of Health commissions us to build or upgrade these health facilities to improve service delivery to people living in different parts of the Western Cape.
Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute
We're making good progress with a R281 million project to replace the Forensic Pathology Services (FPS) laboratory in Salt River.
- News: Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute nears completion
- News: Good progress on Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute construction project
The Department of Transport and Public Works has completed a R124 million architectural project for phased upgrades and extensions to the Vredenburg Hospital to cater for the growing health needs of the West Coast district.
Victoria Hospital upgrade
R80 million of the total of R1.2 billion earmarked for infrastructure investment this year (2019), will be spent on the construction of a brand new EC for this hospital.
Neonatal Unit at Groote Schuur
The upgraded neonatal unit can accommodate 80 babies, including provision for kangaroo mother care (KMC).
District Six Community Health Centre
The centre provides services from 07:30 to 16:30 for to up to 750 patients a day from Salt River, Woodstock, Vredehoek and central Cape Town.
- News: District Six Community Day Centre Officially Opened
- News: Construction of new District Six community Health Centre
- News: Historic District Six to receive new community health facility
This "green" clinic" in Beaufort West cost R23.5 million to build and boasts the most sustainable design features than any other conventional facility in the Province.
- News: Beaufort West Hillside Clinic completed
- News: Impressive sustainable design features for Hillside clinic in Beaufort West
- News: Construction of Beaufort West Clinic
The new Napier Clinic will replace the existing building which is too small. It will provide a range of primary healthcare (PHC) services once it’s open.
Thembalethu Community Day Centre
The facility will include an infectious disease unit, a chronic care unit, an acute treatment unit, and a pharmacy.
- News: New Thembalethu health facility is almost complete
- News: Construction of community day centre in Thembalethu
Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital
The Department completed a R57 million project at Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital in July 2017.
- News: Revitalisation of the historic core of Valkenberg Hospital is complete
- News: Opening of renovated administration buildings at Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital
- News: First phase of Valkenberg Hospital revitalisation complete
The project to convert the community library building into a health facility will cost R8 million.
Mfuleni Community Day Centre
The “plug and play” structure is comprised of modular components that can be assembled in different configurations, moved, refitted and reused. The Western Cape Government and the City of Cape Town collaborated in the design and implementation of the project so that it meets a number of shared goals.
- News: Minister Mbombo Opens New Mfuleni Temporary Community Day Centre
- News: New Temporary Community Day Centre in Mfuleni
Nomzamo Community Day Centre
The people of Nomzamo will be receiving a R28 million facility which will offer a wide range of service to over 5200 patients in a month from Asanda Village and surrounding areas.
- News: Official Opening of Nomzamo Community Day Centre
- News: Nomzamo Community To Receive New Health Facility
Stellenbosch Hospital Emergency Centre
The new emergency centre will include triage rooms, a triage waiting area, an ambulance canopy, an outpatient department, staff areas, and stores. The upgraded facility will offer a 24-hour emergency service.
Prince Alfred Hamlet and Wolseley Community Day Centres
Both centres will offer a full range of primary healthcare facilities. They will also have dental surgeries, pharmacies, as well as specialised infectious disease and chronic disease units. External works will incorporate a number of soft and hard landscape features, as well as a small amount of parking.
Wesfleur Hospital temporary emergency centre
Even though the structure is temporary, it’s been built to fit it with existing hospital buildings, with similar steel columns and a matching roof.
Paarl Psychiatric Services Building
The upgraded psychiatric ward at the Paarl Hospital offers enhanced care, treatments and rehabilitation services to mental health patients.
Piketberg EMS station
The EMS Station will be able to provide basic life support to patients and transport them to appropriate medical facilities. The low maintenance design will provide long-term benefits for staff members and patients.