Department of Local Government: About Us
The Department of Local Government is responsible for promoting good governance in local authorities to enhance municipal service delivery.
The following are the departmental outcomes for the next five years (2020-2025), as stated in its five-year strategic plan:
- Well governed department enabling programmes to deliver on mandates.
- Well governed municipalities through efficient and effective oversight, capacity-buiding and governance structures.
- Data and Knowledge Management Hub that informs decision making, planning and budget allocation within local government.
- The provision and maintenance of infrastructure towards infrastructure-led economic growth.
- Improved interface between government and citizens.
- Reduction in poverty.
- Improved integrated planning, budgeting and implementation.
- Safer, resilient communities and Sustainable Development.
Contact the department for further information.