Department of Economic Development and Tourism: About Us
The Department of Economic Development and Tourism's vision is a Western Cape that has a vibrant, innovative, and sustainable economy, characterised by growth, employment and equitable opportunities, and built on the full potential of all. The department's organisational structure encompasses:
- Integrated economic development
- Trade and sector development
- Business regulation and governance
- Economic planning
- Tourism, arts and entertainment
- Skills development and innovation
- Strategic initiatives
To achieve this vision, the department leads the Western Cape economy using its understanding of the regional economy, its ability to identify economic opportunities and potential, and its contribution to government economic priorities.
The department is the critical link between communities, business and government. It not only implements projects and programmes, but also influences economic growth, development and inclusion, a key strategic objective of the Western Cape Government.
The goal of the Department is to create the opportunities for businesses and citizens to grow the economy and employment. This will be achieved by embracing five key focus areas:
- Economic strategy and policy
- Enabling business environment
- Demand-led private sector driven support
- Infrastructure-led growth
- Decreased skills gap
Contact the department for more information.