Learner's License Applications


Before applying for a driving license, you must have a learner's license. You can get a learner's license for a motor cycle over 125 CCs, car, minibus, small goods vehicle or for a larger vehicle if you are older than 17 years of age. You can get a learner's license for a 50 CC to 125 CC motor cycle if you are 16 years older.

Once you have a learner's license, you may drive the type of vehicle for which the learner's license is valid. However a licensed driver must accompany you at all times (except on a motor cycle). A learner driver may not carry another person on a motor cycle.


To apply for a learner's license you need to complete LL1 form at your local testing centre. You need to supply two identical black and white or colour photographs, produce your ID and pay the required fee. You must be over 17 years old.

Before the learner's license is issued you must pass the learner's test which examines your knowledge of the rules of the road, the traffic signs, and the controls of a vehicle. You must also undergo an eye test.

Study materials to help you prepare for the learner's license test are available at various shops.

A learner's license is valid for 24 months.

For more information contact:

Law Administration Helpdesk
Tel: 021 483 2080 / 2078 / 2469

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (Department of Transport and Public Works, Western Cape Government)

You need to pay R68 to make an appointment to write the learner's license test and R33 for the learner's license once you have passed the test.

The content on this page was last updated on 25 February 2014