DEPARTMENT OF ARTS AND CULTURE: OVERVIEW
The role of the Department of Arts and Culture is to:
- Facilitate, initiate and implement international cooperation agreements on arts and culture.
- Ensure the representation of South African arts and culture on the international scene.
- Manage heritage and film-related issues in the country.
- Manage and administrate of arts, culture and heritage institutions.
- Promote arts, culture and heritage festivals.
- Support informal arts education and training.
- Support the development of, and access to the arts.
- Support excellence and sustainability in the arts.
- Encourage cooperation and networks within the diverse heritage of South Africa.
- Collect and preserve the national archival heritage, and ensure proper management and care of government records.
- Undertake heraldic services.
- Develop cultural industries in partnership with the private sector.
- Render translation and editing services to national departments.
- Promote indigenous languages.
- Provide language planning and terminology services.
- Ensure standardisation and give advice on the proper use of geographical names.
- Manage and govern national libraries and meta-information.
The content on this page was last updated on 2 December 2005